Pic Goodness - Germino Club 40 Rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Scott Peterson, Nov 14, 2005.

1. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Goodness. Now I understand.... less *is* more.

Reviews, clips and comments a little further down the honeymoon lane... but damn.

[​IMG]

The big bad do all pedalboard:

[​IMG]

And the little pedal board that could:

[​IMG]

I don't use both boards at the same time, but I do use the same drive pedals in either setup. Sounds fantastic with the G-System, but also wanted a easy to grab-setup-teardown rig too. This setup is doing a lot of work in a pop/soul backing band for a young female singer, with a classic/modern rock covers band with male/female vocals, modern country/rock with male vocals and modern pop/country with female vocals. Whew. And nailing it all in style.

The neatest thing is the cleans, just utterly captivating. Volume pot, single coils and either of my Melancon guitars. I never suspected what I sought all along was this type of clean. Think Jimi's prettiest cleans and that's the tone. Raunch it up with some pedals and/or humbuckers... and BAM!

Honeymoon mode/on. Strongly.

2. pirateflynn

pirateflynn Supporting Member

Good for you!

That guy really knows good when he hears it........and so do you.

:cool:

3. fatback

fatback Member

Sweet rig!

Where's my drool-cup when I need it?:D

4. Scott Peterson

Just got a PM about the amp setup and tubes.

The amp is dead stock. I am running NOS Mullard CV4004 in V1 & V2. NOS Telefunken ECC83 in V3. NOS Siemens EL34's biased at about 30mA.

5. pirateflynn

pirateflynn Supporting Member

Whoa.........watch out!

:cool:

6. Third Stone

Third Stone Member

Hey you got one, great! Really an amazing amp, such a great "clean" tone (Jimi.) I'm curious what speakers you're running? I'm in love with the sound of my C40 at 4ohms thru a pair of weber blue dogs, one alnico and one ceramic. Although it seems to me that it took a very loooooonnnng time for those speakers to break in and sound the way they do now. I had them in a cab years before I got this amp and never was blown away by them.....that is until I got the C40. Magic combo for me.

7. Scott Peterson

I am running Guytron Bigtone 55's in there; the cab is 8 ohms. Freaking LOVIN' these speakers with everything I plug into them.

8. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Nice rig, Scott! :)

I'm still enjoying my Classic 45 2x12 combo.

Germino is good stuff. :cool:

9. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

Just for conversation's sake. What kind of voltage on the plates of those Siemens? I had heard they are O.K. up to about 450V.

10. Scott Peterson

That is what makes the Club 40 so sweet in my case, because I have a few sets of Siemens and this amp puts about 415Vdc on the plates. And it sounds magnificent. :D

11. dave s

dave s Member

Nice rig Scott. Glad you're enjoying the 'cleans!' What struck me in your post was your noting of the variety of music you can cover with the new rig. It's the high-quality clean tone and correct use of fx that helps a player get the required tones for each style of music you mentioned.

Works for me, too.

dave

12. Myron Stratis

Myron Stratis Supporting Member

Such a pretty rig Scott! :) I can see that you plug the guitar in the high input of the first channel. I really like my Germino with jumpered channels and for the highest gain-headroom I use a y cable from here: http://www.lavacable.com/ and plug into both high inputs. Simply amazing! Now how about some clips? :)

13. Scott Peterson

Dave - thanks. This amp is actually very similar to the Clubman, but doesn't have that zingy Clubman thing.

Myron - I do have a Y-Cable jumper (from Bayou Cables) and mess with it alot; but it sometimes makes the amp too fat sounding. Clips when I actually have some time. Too much work, too many bands, not enough time.

14. fyler

fyler Member

no more flexi?
    :(

15. sampleinajar

sampleinajar Member

Scott,

Greg's amps are a bit on the darker side, so what I do is Y-cable into both inputs and turn the volume up on the treble channel first, and then add the normal channel in as needed. I typically end up with my treble channel at about 2-3 o'clock and my normal channel at about 10 o'clock. Many tonal shades in between there, and with Greg's amps, beautiful volume knob controlled distortion at your fingertips. I can live with my lead 55 and a booster of some sort. Less is more. Here here!

Have fun with your new rig.

Steve

16. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

that is one of the most sensable rigs I have ever seen.

17. Scott Peterson

For now. Finances dictate things, and I can indeed get another Flexi. I needed to sell something to get something, and - for better or worse - the Flexi got the call.

I will promise you, I will be back in Flexi land. For the bands I am in, I needed old school Marshall goodness. The Flexi, for all of its goodness, is a modern sounding amp and wasn't fitting the call.

My bands needs are the tail shaking the dog; I have also sold my GT Soul-O 45 and VHT Pittbull 50/ST and am picking up a VHT Deliverance 60.

When either my finances turn around or my needs change.... my amps change. No big deal, no real emotions about it. Just is what it is.

18. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

Welcome to Club 40, Scott!

I thought I'd mention to some of the readers here - in the hopes of raising awareness, and spreading the word - that the Germino Club 40 is based on a JTM50 design. That's the transition amp (about 1966-67) between the softer, rounder JTM45 and the early 50w Plexis (stiffer, brighter).

The Club 40 will have a very even and round tone, stays clean till pretty freakin' loud, and takes pedals beautifully. I use a y-cable into both channels, and dial in a bit of soft warm bottom end from the dark channel as needed.

Greg G's Club 40 has the rectifier tube and EL34s, plus a replica Plexi style 50w transformer from Heyboer. It's a musical instrument in its own right.

We all (understandably) go ga-ga over the classic Plexi sound. I'd just like to suggest that this JTM50 amp is (for me and others) actually more workable than a plexi replica. Rounder tone, less gain, not so bright, a bit softer attack.

If this sounds interesting, then a JTM50 style amp might be for you. Anyway, back to Scott's glorious amp now!!

Kiwi

19. tonemandan

tonemandan Member

Really sweet Scott. That amp is on my short list for Santa!

Do you run the TC effects in front of the amp or is there an effects loop? For higher gain tones do you get your overdrive from the TC unit?

Dan

20. Scott Peterson

No loop, everything run serial and into the front end of the amp. The TC has no overdrive; I use the same pedals from the smaller board (or others I have) in the analog loops for drive.