Pick a 6L6GC for me......

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Mooncusser, Feb 17, 2006.

1. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Hi all,

I am currently on the search for a new quad of 6L6GC's for my 1959 SLP reissue. Currently, there are Mesa 6L6GC's in the amp now, but are needing a new set soon.
    I think I have it down to the SED winged "C" 6L6GC's, or the RUBY 6L6GCMSTR's. If any one has had some expirience with either one of these brands, please by all means submit your opinions on thier tone charactors, dynamics,and performance, fire them at me.
    If any one has any other suggestions as manufacturer type, I am open to those suggestions as well.
    I haven't had much education on the Mesa 6L6GC's that are currently in the amp, but something tells me there are better 6L6Gc's on the market. I am speaking of current production tubes.
    Thank you for your time and efforts,
    Mass

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Either of your selections will be fine though NOTHING in new production is a lot better than anything else, tone (which is totally subjective) not withstanding.

3. brad347

brad347 Member

mike, do you think the new production JJ tubes are any better than the rest of the stuff? I hear lots of good things, like they might be ahead of the pack at least a little... what's your take?

4. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

I'll throw in my two cents on that one.
    Bob from euro tubes claims the JJ6L6GC's are superior in tone and performance, while Doug from "Doug's Tubes" (an unbelieveably knowledgeable tube dealer and one heck of a great guy..maybe some one here has used his services before to vouch for me) believes that the SED =C='s are just as proficient in performance and quality, but he believes that the SED has " a bit more charactor" over the JJ, claiming that the JJ is a wonderful tube, but very tight, while the SED is more tonaly flexable.

I guess it's what ever your ears tell you.
    Take care and best regards as always,
    Mass

5. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

My take is that after selling 1000s of SEDs with problems in the 1/10th of percent range, is that the SEDs are the most reliable. The tone is great too, but tone is a subjective matter and NO ONE can tell you what you like.

6. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

I'm shocked that a guy who sells only JJs would say such a thing!:D

7. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

Don't SLP-RI's use EL34's?

8. VintageJon

VintageJon Member

I belive in the Ruby 6L6GCMSTR as I've got pairs out there in Super Reverbs that have been producing great tone sonce 1997, gigging regulary. When I test them I can't tell any difference from new pair!
    They have massive power and are warrantied for 6 months!

Matchs are very good as the last batch was all 22mA to 25mA in the Test Chassis. All quartets were within 10%. Find that Magic does an excellent job with matching. A year or two ago it went crazy on a shipment and I called. Was told that the matcher was "in calibration, return everything you can't use." No problem as I match my own and test everything anyway...

Have not had this kind of reliability with the JJ. They have been good but not as good as the Ruby. Filament rattle and match problems are more often found in the JJ.

-Jon