Pick a blackface combo,, any blackface combo

rockster12

Ok, Lets say that you have a choice to pick any blackface combo. Not as a particular need, but your one and only all around blackface combo. It was going to be your grab and go as well as your main fendery gig amp, you may want it to interact well with pedals etc. What would be your choice?

chaz

Deluxe if you don't need more horsepower. Vibroverb next and Twin after that, but they're definitely on the heavy side!

soldersucker

Vibrolux reverb Why?- portablity (a centimeter bigger than a Deluxe reverb)-
-weight-
-volume 35 ish watts
-2x10 for bigger sound-
One of three i own 1964 first run.

kevmin

Small: Princeton Reverb

Medium: Vibrolux Reverb

Large: Super Reverb

Love those Tens!!!

madscientist

my fargen blackbird 30....blows any blackface I've tried out of the water

And I've been searching around just to see if there is anything that sounds better, to my ears.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
The problem is that there's this kind of perception: all blackface combos sound the same, that's just not true! I'd divide them up:
1. Champ, Vibroverb: dirt machines, not enough clean for gigs, great recording amps.
2. Princeton Reverb, Super Reverb, Twin Reverb, Bandmaster Reverb: all designed by Leo as clean amps primarily, and to my ears happiest in that role. You can overdrive all of them (although Supers and Twins are ungodly loud at that point).
3. Deluxe Reverb, Vibrolux reverb, Pro Reverb: to my ears these sound great clean or distorted and just different volumes/weights.

All Fenders have a volume level they sound best at, and you kind of have to match the size of the amp to the size of the venue. However, if you can mic the amp and mount it close enough to your ears, you can play any gig with anything Princeton Reverb or bigger. My favorite all round is the Vibrolux Reverb, but I could make any of them work with a mic and a few pedals...

Trending Topics