• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Pick Hand Finger-Paralysis

jrockbridge

I have a bit of paralysis in the fingers of my right hand (pick hand). I noticed it a few months ago but have not had time to see a doctor or do anything about it. I'm not certain what happened. It might be because I tend to sleep on my right arm. Or, maybe it was caused by prolonged exposure to cold temperatures. Regardless, It affects my playing a bit but, fortunately, I can still play. Hopefully, it's temporary.

I already have plans to work my own physical therapy on the hand and fingers. And, soon, I'll consult with a doctor. In the meantime, I need to work on playing more guitar to see if I can get back my pick-hand dexterity. At the moment, my left hand is stronger and has greater dexterity than my right. Fortunately, that's not the worst thing for a right handed guitar player. I used to be proud of my pick hand skills, so it is sad to know that’s slightly diminished. But, I think I can work through it even if the change ends up being permanent.

I do feel lucky that this is not happening to my fret hand. Even though both are important, I think left-hand and finger-paralysis would be even more problematic. Anyway, I’d like some help with some suggestions.

What exercise gear works to help build hand and finger muscles? I’ve thought of a ball to squeeze but, honestly, I don’t even know which balls work best for physical therapy.

VooDooClown

Platinum Supporting Member
I have dealt with a similar issue.....
You should really see a Doctor asap. Playing , and continued use, may be worsening the condition. Sounds like it could be a pinched nerve. I definitely wouldn't start any kind of physical therapy until you know what you are dealing with. Good luck!

Rick CD

Hey man, doctor here. Go see your doc asap. Isolated weakness or dexterity loss, in the absence of numbness or tingling, is much more concerning for stroke than a pinched nerve. Especially if you have other risk factors for stroke (high blood pressure, diabetes, smoker, age>45, etc).

Trending Topics