Pick Height Sugestions For My Les Paul Traditional Pro II l

ken374

Right now my bridge is set at fretted at the last fret the higher part of the pup not the pole piece is 4/32 on both side and fretted last fret on the higher side measuring 4/32 again not sure really to measure it at?? I like how the bridge is set for rock to higher gain but wondering if im too high or low?? My old studio and SG seemed easier to set up they were both 490/498T with covers on them. I usually test loud to fine tune it but haven't been able this week. I only have a MM/32 ruler thanks a bunch! I know its a preference but I want to see if im in the ball park. MY higher gain pedal the bogner burnley sounds good but the bogner blue is a bit thicker then I would like or it can be a tad too bright.

Bazaboy33

Silver Supporting Member
I usually start with 3/32" on the Bass side & 2/32" on the Treble side for both pickups, measured with strings depressed at the last fret.

tazzboy

Put the pickups close to the strings as possible and than back them off until you find the right sound for the them

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
what you want to do is get the bridge pickup as close as it will go and still sound good, which will differ from pickup to pickup and player to player. gibson BBs and 57 classics have little magnet pull and can get right up there with no ill effects.

once that's done, set the amp totally clean, then adjust the neck pickup to have the same volume as the bridge, which will inevitably mean it's much further away.

michael razor

Hi:

On my Trad Pro ii I backed off the Pickups further than Usual.

Neck PU=almost all the way down
Bridge: Far down but not as far as Neck.

Good Luck

theruley

I like them on the low side. I set the neck pickup just about flush with the outer edges of the pickup ring. The bridge pickup though I will set slightly closer to the strings, relative to the neck pickup.

As mentioned though, play around with both extremes and find your happy medium.

ken374

The 3 32nd and the 2 32nd works fine one the bridge that what I used on my SG. I set the neck at 3 32 on both sides for now and it seem good. This guitar is a bit thick sounding on the bass side

Dale

I start where yours are and tweak according to my ears. I try to balance neck bridge volume and adjust poles to match fretboard radius. I then tweak pole height by ear.

ScottOlson

Here's one way to try setting them from Seymour:

Fret the strings at the highest fret and then raise the treble side of the bridge pickup to within 1/16th of an inch of the bottom of the high E string, and on the bass side 1/8th of an inch of the bottom of the low E string. From there, the neck pickup can be set to the same height and then adjusted up or down to balance their volume against the bridge.

omfg51

In my opinion, the only way to tell is to hear it. No amount of numbers, or feeler gauges, or any of the various measurement tools will be able to tell you what your hands and ears tell you.

ken374

I always set my bridge at 1/8 low E and 1/16 on high E I had my neck set a little high so I tried the Seymour settings sounds right so far:) Thanks Scott

Last edited:

Trending Topics