Pick my pickups for LP Studio

supar6

I've just recently picked up a LP Studio in vintage mahogany and while the pickups are pretty decent I'd like to throw something in there with a little more growl and low end. For the most part I own guitars with single coils and P-90's and have very little experience with humbuckers at all. I have tried SD 59's which sounded great in my Hamer but that's about it.

I'd like to just throw this out there, get everyones opinion and go buy your recommenation. Here's a little info - I play a lot of blues (all types) and classic rock. I play mostly through my Top Hat Emplexador with very little effects (clean boost, univibe). I'm NOT a metal or heavy rock guy at all.

That's about it. I appreciate any help and direction!

echale3

I really like the tone of the BB Pros in my VM, but that's a subjective thing...

Maybe you could go with a humbucker-sized P-90? I personally like the GFS Mean 90, I had a pair of them in my old Epi LP, and they sounded killer. When I traded that guitar off, a new set of Mean 90s wound up in my SG, where they sound killer.... The Mean 90s have plenty of growl...

bynt

I really dig the JB/59 set up in my Studio. I put a Dimarzio Humbucker from Hell in the neck and while I like it (it sounds kind of single coil) I miss the 59 so I'm waiting on another one in the mail (Thanks Rooster!!!). Best bang for the buck. Having said that, the aforementioned Rooster swears by Bill Lawrences. I only have experience with his single coils but I REALLY like them. I should try the humbuckers sometime.

mainsale

Lindy Fralin P-92's would be my recommendation. They made this LP Florentine come alive!

da0273cb.jpg

Trending Topics

Top Bottom