Pick Punch - Make your own Pics

GuitarKidd

Browsing the net and found this.... (searched here as well and didn't see any immediate topics so sorry if already discussed in great detail).

http://www.pickpunch.com/

Seem like a very cool tool. Plus you can buy material from them as well. Sounds like you may have to do a little smoothing of the edges for each one.. but this may go on the Christmas list.

And they have different size pick punches. I prefer the jazz size.. hmm, but prefer the regular 351 for acoustic. Will have to get both.

Last edited:

teleking36

Supporting Member
I got one last year as a christmas gift from one of my guitar students. I haven't used it much, but when I have it's been great!

I took one of my bandmate's old IDs and pickpunched his head into a pick. Pretty hilarious. That's when it gets fun and creative!

Smgbad

Supporting Member
Yeah.. one of my former bandmates had one. He'd go to Walmart and get 20-30 of those gift cards on the rack that aren't valid until purchased at a cash register. Apparently an associate told him they are free to take as you can put amounts on them over the phone instead of in store. All in all he must've made 500+ picks. They were EVERYWHERE when he went to move and we chipped in to clean up his studio. We used to have pic fights, seeing if we could inflict any sort of damage to eachother by flicking them as hard as possible at one another. Also used them for air rifle target practice. FUN times!

The funniest thing about it to me is that I never ever use picks, yet he gave me probably 100 of em when he moved... I am still randomly giving them out to guitarists who come over to buy or trade for stuff off of CL.

omfg51

My buddy bought one of these. For about 2 weeks straight, he cut picks out of EVERYTHING he touched.

macquet

I have one...that thing is great. Get whatever material you like and the thickness you like every time. And in a pinch you could always punch a credit card etc.

gomez1856

I've got one and I love it. I travel for a living and constantly get home from trips with hotel keys in my wallet or pockets. They make for great pics :)

Rick

Ros

Gold Supporting Member
there was a guy on my local craigslist that was offering "custom made" pics...and it was just some dude with one of these.
HA! I have one of those and never thought about making custom picks for people. :jo

Cute little tool, though! Expired credit cards with the raised numbers strategically placed for grip work the best for me.

-R.

GuitarKidd

I was wondering about this, and was surprised nobody had mentioned it until now. Thanks, good to know. Cheers.
I guess you could glue a few picks together as seen in the pic below from their site.

Then they sanded the edges to make it smooth... not sure how they bonded the two.

tapeup

Butterscotch Supt. Member
I guess you could glue a few picks together as seen in the pic below from their site.

Then they sanded the edges to make it smooth... not sure how they bonded the two.
Hmmm interesting, thanks for the pic (no pun intended), and info. Cheers.

scottywompas

I have one. Most gift cards are about the same thickness as a fender medium.

I've gigged with Pick Punch pics.

Scott

the recluse

I've had one for about a year. It works well, and I am still working my way through the first batch of picks I made with it. My only gripe is that I haven't been able to find material in the thickness I like to play with (.73mm). The .80mm they sell on the pick punch site is ok, but I'd like to find something with just a little more give.

Rick Lee

Only a good idea for those who use thin picks that don't produce good tone.
I wanted to revive this thread, as I'm now thinking about buying one of these. I recently stumbled upon some samples I must have "picked" up at NAMM and don't recall the manufacturer, and there are several. Is one better than the others? I use heavy Fenders.

BTW, I caught a pick from EVH on the Balance tour and it was as thin as paper. His tone didn't suck.

kowalski440

I received a pick punch for christmas a few years ago. It has collected dust ever since. It can't 'punch' through anything as thick as I use(1.4-3mm). If you don't mind playing with credit-card-thin picks, have at it.

Also, Ed's tone is in his fingers.

Last edited:

59Vampire

Gold Supporting Member
Thats cool. I used to make picks out of old credit cards for my kids because they thought it was cool. And the raised numbers made a nice grip. A bit too thin for my taste though!

As a suit, the collar punch is really cool.