Pick responsive pedals other than envelope filters

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Zacateca, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Zacateca

Zacateca Member

Hi, I like pedals that you can interact with, where you can manipulate the sounds with your picking dynamics. The only type of pedal that do this that I know of are envelope filters, and some overdrive pedals that are somewhat responsive to picking attack. I am curious if there is something else that I am not aware of out there.

2. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

Interested.

The "Envelope" control in the Lexicon Vortex has changed the game for me a few days ago.

3. midwayfair

midwayfair Member

An "envelope" is a circuit that creates a control voltage from the input signal. Here are a list of pedal types that use it in various ways:

• Envelope filters/auto wahs
    • Compressors
    • Expanders (not many of these used with guitars)
    • Boss Slow Gear and its clones -- essentially a specialized compressor circuit.
    • Pigtronix has some modulation pedals with envelope control: Envelope phaser, tremvelope. I am pretty sure there is a vibrato pedal (like the VB-2) with envelope control in addition to the usual LFO control, but I can't remember who makes it.
    • Many, many synth effects include an envelope filter but it doesn't necessarily sound like a wah effect, so it's not as obvious.
    • I saw a rumor that the Skreddy Echo has some form of envelope control over the modulation of the repeats, but I can't confirm that and I haven't seen a schematic or heard anything really specific in that regard in demos. Maybe someone else can confirm or deny.
    • I have a couple DIY projects on my page with envelope stuff in them: I have an overdrive with a compressor and an envelope vibe/tremolo where the envelope changes the behavior of the LFO. I mention this because there are, I think, a lot more DIY projects with envelope control than commercial effects for guitar at least. It tends to be a niche functionality except for compressors. Even envelope filters are kind of rare on boards.
    Overdrives that get described as "responsive to pick attack" are pretty much never the same thing as what's happening in an envelope control but simply have a somewhat well managed clipping threshold. They don't respond to your pick attack at all. They just have a wide dynamic range available (i.e., headroom). However, the Expandora actually IS an envelope-based distortion pedal -- the gain goes up as you pick harder. It's the only distortion pedal I'm aware of with that function.

4. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

I seem to recall the Akai Intelliphase had a envelope control option. The Eventide Modfactor has envelope and ADSR (a kind of envelope follower with preset decay and sustain) that can be used with most of the algorithms.

5. rumbletone

rumbletone Silver Supporting Member

There are digital fx boxes that allow the envelope of the guitar signal (or even a different signal) to control various parameters. On an Eventide Eclipse, for example, the envelope of either input can be assigned to modulate just about any parameter in real time. For example, I have a 'turntable scratching' preset where the envelope changes the frequency of the harmonizer (which is set not to quantize), so the harder you pick the higher the pitch of the scratching. And as the signal decays the pitch lowers again - i.e., similar to turning the turntable faster then slowing it down. It could be assigned to modulate delay time, delay feedback, modulation depth, filter frequencies, just about anything.

6. otari

otari Member

Pretty much anything by Pigtronix.

7. NHBluesMan

NHBluesMan Member

all the tremolo patches on the M5/9/13 can be set so the intensity responds to your picking. Dig in and it gets more intense, play lighter and it's more subtle.

8. to_be_released

to_be_released Member

A quick thing to note - some of the moogerfoogers have an envelope out control voltage, which can than be used to give envelope control of anything that could otherwise be controlled by an expression pedal.

9. Zacateca

Zacateca Member

Intersting answers so far, so it seems there are quite a few pedals that takes advantage of this type of interactiveness I was not aware of. I was thinking that a delay would be interesting with this feature

10. Godspeed64

Godspeed64 Member

This. I love the Trem without this feature already, but this feature aces it for me.

11. doug deeper

doug deeper Supporting Member

Two of the pedals I make (mid-fi electronics) are envelope controlled.
    The overdrive
    And
    The clari(not)

Not trying to be spammy, just a big fan of the envelope follower!

12. rck

rck Supporting Member

the Mobius can do this as well using the Quadrature and Swell machines.

13. eSS eSS

eSS eSS Member

DigiTech phaser and flanger

14. Zacateca

Zacateca Member

15. kwaping

kwaping Guitar payer Silver Supporting Member

Subdecay Siren vibrato.

16. zetamkiii

zetamkiii Member

Sonic Crayon Anti-Nautilus. The input Threshold is adjusted for activation of the Delay/Sample/Glitch.

17. Otdacha

Otdacha Member

18. Whalestone

Whalestone Member

Check out the Boss TE-2 featuring their MDP technology;
    "incredible sensitivity to your playing dynamics"
    http://www.bossus.com/products/te-2/

19. Invisible Man

Invisible Man Member

Came here to say this. The MF-101 and MF-107 have envelope outputs...run them into whatever you like. My low pass filter is modded for an even stronger envelope, too!

20. Ev O)))

Ev O))) Member

dear god I want one of these and that is like one of the coolest features about the whole thing.