Pick thickness

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by semi-hollowbody, Jan 12, 2008.

1. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

Do you guys use various picks for different applications?
    Ive noticed that my heavy guage picks are absolutely useless for heavy strumming (ESPECIALLY up-down strokes)

Ive noticed that my thin guage picks are extremely difficult to use when playing notes or riffing around, especially when playing fast.

So what guage picks do you use for various applications/playing styles??

2. ivers

ivers Member

I use a fairly thick pick, Dunlop Jazztone, for everything. Works well, it's sorta like Jazz III (my former favorite), but seems to suit me a little bit better these days.

As long as I adjust and get used to a pick, it seems to work decently enough for both strumming and alternate picking. Of course, with a thick pick, I can't get that 'flop-flop' sound that one gets when strumming with a very thin pick.

3. onemind

onemind Member

I like big Claytons for Strumming, and small tortex for picking, so usually I split the difference, lately I like a 1.0 Big Stubby

4. trazan

trazan Member

Jazz II for most electric guitar work, unless I need a less dynamic output, in which case I'll use a thinner pick (a thinner pick will "compress" more, which can be preferrable especially on some clean sounds/styles, and will sound more natural than using a compressor).

Picks for acoustic instruments will vary much more. For strumming I use bigger (than the Jazz size) and thinner picks. How thin depends on how much body or what kind of attack I want. For single string work I'll usually go for the Jazz II's. On acoustic guitar the type of pick used affects the sound immensely so if you stick to the same type of pick regardless of what music/style/arrangement you play on, you need to reconsider :cool:

5. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

I use .88's for everything. If I need a less heavy feel I simply loosen up the grip.

6. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

Here are some of the picks I use for various effects

HJ
    www.harryj.net

[​IMG]

7. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

MOstly thick, Jazz III, GAtor Grip 1.14, or 0.96. Occasionally I will go to the yellow torex, can't remember the gauge.
    Basically I can strum with anything, but I do a lot more fast picking thean strumming, so I use the best tool for that job.

8. jrkoosh

jrkoosh Silver Supporting Member

only use Big Stubby's

9. Birddog

Birddog Member

Fender Thin Premium or Classic Celluloid. I don't know what you mean about thin picks being no good for riffs, notes. I find anything thicker to be more difficult to use for fast playing.

I DO like my Fender Thins fresh, with sharp points.

10. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

Dunlop GatorGrip 1.5

The ugly green ones, just like a gator

The edge barely ever pits
    . That's what I notice.
    And if there's a little, it is a little. It could be rubbed out on a carpet.
    Just take the pick and rub the edge against the carpet and it will remove all
    freys and modest pits.
    But these picks don't frey.
    Unlike Cool Picks.

And the grip is great, no second material added, just a roughened feel.
    My favorite pick feel.

Picks are very personal. Take time to get to know your pick better.
    Take a walk on the beach, a little candlelight.

11. Mike T

Mike T Member

Alays Dunlop Tortex Standard 1.0.

12. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

346 (3 sided). You get 3 picks in one with those. Plus, they are big so you can loosen the grip for that loose pat metheny feel and they are good for funk rhythm too. I typically used medium and sometimes heavy.

13. Red Suede

Red Suede Member

.75mm Pickboys. The perfect shape and thickness for my lead and rhythm playing, the first pick that dosen't fall out of my hand.

14. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Lately I've been using a D'Andrea Pro PLEC 1.5 mm.
    It's pretty heavy but the tone is wonderful as is the feel against the strings.

15. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer

As with most things technique related, it's always a compromise. I use thin picks for two of the bands I'm in, and mediums for everything else. I use to use heavies as I liked the sound better, but that was when I was doing mostly single note soloing or basic rhythm work, mostly jazz. In one of the projects I'm in now I'm doing hard funk and disco rhythm guitar 95% of the time, and there's no way anyone can do that all night with a thick, stubby pick.

So the point is- use the right tool for the right job.