Pick up advice

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jadams71, Mar 2, 2015.

1. jadams71

jadams71 Member

I have a PRS SE semi hollow. I want to do a couple of upgrades. I would like to get locking tuners and pick ups. I would like something lower output for rich cleans in the neck and then something for hard rock and blues in the bridge. What would you recommend for each position.
    I have been doing some research but I do not know what to look for in the qualities of pick ups.

2. Ape Factory

Ape Factory Member

There's no reason you can't put a lower output, PAF style set in the guitar and crank up the gain. You'd be surprised how well they do with gain.

There are probably a dozen Seymour Duncans or Dimarzios that'll work for you, all have a slightly different flavor so you'll most likely have to experiment. Take a look at their "vintage" and low output models. Take into consideration if your guitar is really bright or dark.

Consider replacing the electronics while you're in there, something that'll match up with the new pups. Not sure what year your SE is, I had a Bernie a while back and the Alpha pots were actually fine but match the caps and any treble bleed to the new pickups.

3. jadams71

jadams71 Member

Thank you very much for the help, ape factory.