Pick Up Install Made Easy...

TubeLuvr

Last night while installing a Lyric in my Larrivée OM-60, something interesting was revealed. Under the bridge there was a shim that appears to be ebony. The shim is about .047 inch thick and fits snugly in the slot.

I took a pic of the bridge plate to see where to mount the Lyric mic. I noticed a whitish 'dot'.

The endpin came pre-drilled for a jack so I did not have to drill into the instrument, something that always makes me nervous. I am suspecting that the shim is for an under saddle PU and the dot is the pre-drilled hole for the PU wire.
Pretty nice that Larrivée made it so easy to install PUs.

Crowder

Dang Twangler
That's cool. They probably did that to make it easier for their factory employees to install pickups rather than for you to do it, but either way it's very helpful!

TubeLuvr

I think you're right, I was at the factory and they did an install of a duel source system while the owner waited. They told me they would do the same for my OM-60.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
I am suspecting that the shim is for an under saddle PU...
seems likely, it would certainly be convenient to pull it and replace with a pickup.
...and the dot is the pre-drilled hole for the PU wire.
no way; the dot is in line with the bridge pins, and nowhere near the saddle slot.

my guess is it's a manufacturing thing, maybe some kind of little pin for locating the bridge or the bridgeplate itself to get glued to the top.

TubeLuvr

no way; the dot is in line with the bridge pins, and nowhere near the saddle slot.
my guess is it's a manufacturing thing, maybe some kind of little pin for locating the bridge or the bridgeplate itself to get glued to the top.
Good catch! I visited the factory and got a step by step explaination of the build but do recall a locating pin. It's possible I missed it or it was not shown.

OT, but how did you get this shot? looks great.
I put my phone inside with timer set on the camera. Another method I've used is to mirror my phone on Apple TV, put it inside with some light and view on my TV. Worked well to see inside my ukulele B4 installing a SB pickup.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
mirror my phone on Apple TV, put it inside with some light and view on my TV. Worked well to see inside my ukulele B4 installing a SB pickup.
!!

I am so gonna try that! (Not with Apple TV, but there's an app that will mirror the phone camera on my iPad.)

Trending Topics