• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Pick-ups question - Best humbuckers for Tele twang

I'm building a new guitar using a one piece swamp ash tele body, maple neck with Pau Ferro Fretboard and LSR nut, Fender American Deluxe Series six saddle chrome over brass bridge. My dilemma is what pick-ups to use. I want to use humbuckers but don't want to lose the tele twang.
I am having the neck pick up location routed for a full size humbucker and the bridge for a std single coil. My first choices are Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates at the neck position and a Seymour Duncan Little 59 lead at the bridge. I was thinking of using the Custom Classic wiring with a 4-way or Torres Engineering BluesTone wiring with a 5-way switch.

Other's with more experience with lots of PU may chime in with other info, but IMO if you want "Tele twang" you have to use a Tele single coil PU. Anything else is a comprimise.

bluestarbass

I have a reissue 72 deluxe and that is a humbucker guitar with a hint of tele twang. They are just the stock pickups, which ive heard dont hold a candle to the orignals. Those are about as close as youd get I think.

mainsale

The answer to your search just might be the Lindy Fralin "Twangmaster". It's a cousin of his P-92's. Check out his website then give him a call.

1radicalron

Lindy Fralin Un-Bucker! I have an Ash Tele with a Un-Bucker neck pup. You can split the Un-Bucker, and get Tele Twang all the way. (1 coil is way hotter than the other) This results in a very convincing Single coil sound.

The Florance Voodoo '59 bridge does a nice twang for a humbucker. That said, GregPecc is right about a tele pickup being the right thing to use for twang.

dave251

It's not just the pickup. A three saddle bridge plate helps too. The thin, POS stamped steel bridge plate contributes a LOT. Check into Joe Barden; he does a hum cancelling pup in a Tele size...isn't that what Danny Gatton used?

Also, DiMarzio makes a low output bucker in a twin blade design that's pretty close to Gretsch twang.

Mike9

Silver Supporting Member
I dunno - "Humbucker" and "Tele Twang" in the same sentence . . . it's a bizarre concept - go figure. :D

Single coil it is.. A friend has offered me a set of SD quarter-pounders to try, but commented that he replaced them to get a more vintage tone. After listening to the feedback (thanks to all), I'm going to try different pups till I find the right combo. Any experience with an SD Jerry Donahue tele lead single coil - based on audio clips and reviews it sounds like a good starting point.

How about a set of TV Jones TV'trons? They're designed to fit humbucker mounts and can get you closer to twang than most humbuckers can.

Trending Topics