Pick-ups question - Best humbuckers for Tele twang

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by guitarperson777, Jan 13, 2008.

1. guitarperson777

guitarperson777 Member

I'm building a new guitar using a one piece swamp ash tele body, maple neck with Pau Ferro Fretboard and LSR nut, Fender American Deluxe Series six saddle chrome over brass bridge. My dilemma is what pick-ups to use. I want to use humbuckers but don't want to lose the tele twang.
    I am having the neck pick up location routed for a full size humbucker and the bridge for a std single coil. My first choices are Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates at the neck position and a Seymour Duncan Little 59 lead at the bridge. I was thinking of using the Custom Classic wiring with a 4-way or Torres Engineering BluesTone wiring with a 5-way switch.

2. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Member

Other's with more experience with lots of PU may chime in with other info, but IMO if you want "Tele twang" you have to use a Tele single coil PU. Anything else is a comprimise.

3. bluestarbass

bluestarbass Member

I have a reissue 72 deluxe and that is a humbucker guitar with a hint of tele twang. They are just the stock pickups, which ive heard dont hold a candle to the orignals. Those are about as close as youd get I think.

4. mainsale

mainsale Member

The answer to your search just might be the Lindy Fralin "Twangmaster". It's a cousin of his P-92's. Check out his website then give him a call.

5. SMark

SMark Member

6. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

Lindy Fralin Un-Bucker! I have an Ash Tele with a Un-Bucker neck pup. You can split the Un-Bucker, and get Tele Twang all the way. (1 coil is way hotter than the other) This results in a very convincing Single coil sound.

7. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

Bill Lawrence has a humbucker that may do it, L-500.

8. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

The Florance Voodoo '59 bridge does a nice twang for a humbucker. That said, GregPecc is right about a tele pickup being the right thing to use for twang.

9. dave251

dave251 Member

It's not just the pickup. A three saddle bridge plate helps too. The thin, POS stamped steel bridge plate contributes a LOT. Check into Joe Barden; he does a hum cancelling pup in a Tele size...isn't that what Danny Gatton used?

Also, DiMarzio makes a low output bucker in a twin blade design that's pretty close to Gretsch twang.

10. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

I dunno - "Humbucker" and "Tele Twang" in the same sentence . . . it's a bizarre concept - go figure. :D

11. guitarperson777

guitarperson777 Member

Single coil it is.. A friend has offered me a set of SD quarter-pounders to try, but commented that he replaced them to get a more vintage tone. After listening to the feedback (thanks to all), I'm going to try different pups till I find the right combo. Any experience with an SD Jerry Donahue tele lead single coil - based on audio clips and reviews it sounds like a good starting point.

12. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

i like the dimarzio VV tele bridge pickup

13. Home Grown Tele

Home Grown Tele Member

How about a set of TV Jones TV'trons? They're designed to fit humbucker mounts and can get you closer to twang than most humbuckers can.