Picked up a '63 Strat Beater

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by leodv, Mar 17, 2015.

1. leodv

leodv Member

Hey all,

I recently picked up a 1963 Fender Stratocaster.
    The body has been mangled (horns were cut off), "fixed" (new horns added but not 100% correct shape), and refinished multiple times.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The body has slight "routing" (more like carving, but anyways) in the pickup cavities to allow for the deeper pickups. They look like a 1970s Dimarzio SDS-1 on the neck, 1970s Dimarzio FS-1 on middle, and 1970s Dimarzio PAF (Patent Applied For) on the bridge. Please correct me if I am wrong!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Is anyone able to tell me if everything besides the pickups are original electronics? Looks it to me but I'm not certain.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. leodv

leodv Member

continued...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bridge Saddles read "FINAL PROSPEC", which I've read means they are likely from an old Tokai strat.
    [​IMG]

The real beauty on this thing is the neck
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As far as I know the neck has never been touched. Has all original tuners and hardware.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pickguard is custom made to account for the irregular shape of the horns.
    No Spring plate on the back of it, three springs are original, two others added on early 80s.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Not sure if original Trem block, but looks like it. Also unsure of the Trem base plate
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All in all, I'm very happy with it. It plays like a dream. Has some fret wear, so I'm thinking of having a refret done by a highly recommended local luthier. Any other recommendations for me? Should I leave the neck alone or will the refret really kill any value it has? I plan on playing this sucker. If I do refret, do I bring it to vintage spec of go for the one and done stainless steel route? Any real tone differences? I really love the way this plays!

Looking for info, opinions, comments! (I'm pretty excited about this purchase and have no one around to talk guitars with.)
    Thanks for any help!

3. leodv

leodv Member

Please tell me dropbox images embed...

4. leodv

leodv Member

Nevermind! Fixed it.

5. sahhas

sahhas Member

looks nice! nice and relic'd!

now who would chop off the horns of a '63 strat?

ok, i've done it to 2 guitars: but they were cheap, strat copies from the far east....they were not '63 strats!!!!!

6. Dashface

Dashface Member

I find myself wondering how much you paid... Honestly, that body is a wreck. But you're right - the real score is that neck. That neck is where it's at. You could put that on another body and have a real killer on your hands.

7. grego7

grego7 has left the building Gold Supporting Member

I don't think a refret will kill the value any more than somebody cutting off the horns (who would DO that? :facepalm)

Cool guitar, though. Enjoy it!

8. XKnight

XKnight Member

The value is all in the neck, which looks great. I would consider a fret level and crown before a refret. Might not need a refret just yet.

9. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

You'd be surprised at the number of altered old Fender tele and strat bodies. Must have been a big teardrop body craze at some point mid to late 60s. I have a mangled 68 tele project with a ruined body.

10. kracdown

kracdown Custom User Title Gold Supporting Member

Take that neck and run from the rest... Too far gone. Get a refret with something a little taller than vintage spec. I'd send that thing to Danocaster and have him make a new body / hardware.

11. Buelligan

Buelligan Member

That guitar looks like it's been to a lot of killer parties.

12. Sconnie

Sconnie Member

That bridge is worth a lot too, pre-cbs steel is a big deal. remove it, disassemble it, and clean all the parts with some baking soda and water with a wire brush (maybe just buy new mount screws since those ones look very stripped). The block might not be original though, I think the string holes would have been shallow so you could see the ball-ends easily, nice bridge anyway. Put that stuff on a new body and it will rip!

13. mughead

mughead Member

damn thats been through the mill. Great pics, like watching a car crash; cant take your eyes off it.
    If it were mine i would tidy it up for sure get the right guard and pickups for it. get rid of that gash burst on there.

14. cratz2

cratz2 Member

For the pickups, pretty sure the neck and bridge are SDS-1s. The bridge just has a PAF sticker. They are kinda P90-ish. They go great into a tweed amp in my opinion. The FS1 is just a hot stratty pickup with a pinch more bottom end. All are cool, but not really worth anything and unless you really like hotter single coil tones, a $70 set from GFS will sound radically more stratty.

Nice neck you have there but the rest sure is a beater!

:p

15. Zexcoil

Zexcoil Gold Supporting Member Vendor

I'd be wondering if maybe it's a Tokai body with a Fender neck...

16. modernp

modernp Member

Put it back together and play the crap out of it. New frets if needed.

17. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

The body may be original. Would verify with the rear pin holes if it gets stripped down.

18. Jonny Hotnuts

Jonny Hotnuts Member

Not a vintage Fender bridge. The block is new and saddles are Tokai. The pups are all non original. The neck is real however, and that is a biggie. Cant do 100% verification of the body as it looks like the router marks in the bed of the PU routes have been altered. Check to see if there is a tiny hole under the pickguard in the wood a few inches from the bridge on the top side. This would be a nail hole and a good indicator if the body is original or you can locate the dowel holes if you know where they are.

An experienced luthier can bring this back from the abyss; after all she has been thought she deserves it.

~JH

It is sad to see what people did to these guitars.

19. slowerhand

slowerhand Supporting Member

Why? Any tells?

20. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

I'd refret stainless, change pickups if needed, and rock it as is.

I love a guitar with a story.