Picked up a Clapton Strat "Blackie" for $225 at pawn shop

Alex Najarian

IMG_20170108_124055942_HDR_zpsgkgsdaxs.jpg

Is this real? What is it?

70 Mach 1

Silver Supporting Member
Just the circuit board is about a bill. Looks like a sticker job over a made in Taiwan strat

fenderjapan

World Heavyweight Champion
Silver Supporting Member
The most obvious clue that this is a fake is that it has 21 frets and the EC signature has 22.

The bridge does not look like a Fender bridge.

As far as the autographs on the pickguard, do you know who's signatures they are supposed to be?

majorminor

Gold Supporting Member
May be angle of photo but the headstock, especially the shape by the low E tuner looks off

Papanate

You have purchased a Chinese knock off - with some obvious mistakes made.
People have already noted the major ones not the 3 Ply Pickguard though -- I've
included a picture of a real one in case you have a hard time believing them.

]
IMG_20170108_124055942_HDR_zpsgkgsdaxs.jpg
o46tmcetbthlphyzu3h8.jpg

Alex Najarian

I brought that fake bullsh1t back and got a full refund. I never even knew about this crap going on. I went to another pawn shop and scored big. I purchased a Kirby G10 vacuum for only $100 (in great condition) and they gave me a free SP condenser microphone for free with it (I checked online and the mic costs $200 new).

I also bought a beautiful Ibanez bass for only $325. I checked online and they sell for about $1,000 new. The one I got is in brand new condition. It sounds great, also!

IMG_20170108_145025470_zps8sye9icq.jpg
IMG_20170108_145012327_zpsxfbvfxjt.jpg
IMG_20170108_144959218_zpszuw57xnv.jpg

Last edited:

Alex Najarian

Thing is, if the pawn shop is selling a Clapton Blackie for $225, they KNOW they're selling a knockoff.....

Glad you got your money back OP.
Oh...I am born and raised NY crazy. If they had not given me a full refund, they would have had a serious problem in their store. They were good about it and paid me right up in cash. I bought the bass guitar from them, so overall, I did very well and they were good people. They asked how I knew it was a BS guitar and I showed them. I have a black American Strat at home to compare it to and the body on the pawn shop one was actually thinner. LOL. I can't stand those [email protected] who do this sort of thing. They ought to be bombed off of the face of the earth.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom