Picked up a DD20 yesterday

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jzucker, Jan 17, 2008.

1. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Pleasantly surprised. Tape and analog delay sounds are good. Bypass is transparent. Sound on sound looping is great. Modulation sounds good too. Better than the boss chorus pedals I've tried. The chorus is not on the level of the DLS but not bad in a pinch. My only complaint is that I'd like to be able to use the SOS at the same time as one of the other delays.

2. johnrambo

johnrambo Member

you can click to your first preset and play with that delay over the SOS loop but you can't switch back and overdub anymore.

3. jzucker

How does that work then? Can I save any of the other delay settings in a preset? For example, I could save a modulation setting in a preset and then switch with the right hand pedal over from SOS to the modulation setting all while the SOS continues to play? If so, that's exactly what I want to do.

4. johnrambo

johnrambo Member

set up your right footswitch to cycle thru the presets and make preset 1 whatever delay you want to switch to. put the pedal in manual mode on SOS and record the loop as normal. now if you hit the right switch it should go to preset 1 and the loop should still be playing.
    from what i know, there is no way to get any delay in your loops.

5. jzucker

Great. That's perfect. So I can put 4 of those presets in and cycle through them all while the SOS is playing back? For some reason, I thought the memory was only for saving loop playback. I guess that explains why I couldn't get that to work!

6. johnrambo

johnrambo Member

no you can only use the first preset. as soon as you hit the right footswitch again to go to the second preset the loop stops.

7. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

No news here, the DD-20 is a great pedal!

+1

On Johnrambo replies, it should take care of what you asked.

8. Bing James

Bing James Member

Make sure you get an external footswitch to add to it. Tap tempos on the fly are much easier with an external pedal....on stage it has made my life a pleasure.

9. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

I got one last week and have been a having a blast with it- looper is a lot of fun and much better sound quality than I was expecting, esp. the analog and tape settings. Between the DD20 and DMM, I'm pretty much set although I wouldn't mind giving the AD999 a go eventually...

10. jzucker

how so?

11. lukeness

lukeness Member

without an external tap tempo, you have the share the tap function with the right foot switch, in order to use tap tempo. An external switch will assign the tap tempo to the external switch and keep the right switch to the function of scrolling through your presets.

12. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

This is the reason its my goto if I could only take one delay pedal.

It has the most flexable on the fly setup and layout especailly when you do add the external tap.

So, you'll have ON/OFF, TAP, and Preset.

13. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

I just picked one up as well. I had one a couple of years ago but didnt know how to use it and sold it out of frustration (I used it to loop etc. but got frustrated by the tap tempo and patch changing).

Just picked up a tap temp in the emporium which I am stoked about.

Big revelation for me was using a volume pedal just before the delay (after all the dirt), wow! If you have not tried this you are missing out. I am using one of the new Boss volume pedals and its fantastic. :dude

14. Dave

Dave Member

Is there a particular external switch you guys like?

15. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

16. guitbeef

guitbeef Member

I'm a DD20 user and I can definitely see both sides of the tap-tempo view. I just picked up an external tap tempo switch but I have been using the right switch which I really don't mind, in fact the built-in tap feature was one of the selling points for me. I'm using the DD20 in manual mode a lot of the time but I do have 4 presets saved that I do need to call up pretty often (which I get to by hitting both switches together), and lately I feel I've taken too long in between songs live to hold for 2 secs, access my preset, hold 2 secs again, set my tap, then start playing. So that's the reason I'm going to the external.
    But still I know that I can function just fine with the pedal by itself, and by that I mean I have access to 5 different delay settings with the capability to tap-tempo any of them. Just got tired of also carrying around my Multivalve in a rack. And I actually like the sound of it's buffer in the chain to boot.

17. Mincer

Mincer Member

I have one. A few things to know about. It is loud and click-y, so you definately hear it...also, it requires some force to get it to engage...this may change as it gets broken in, but I am not at that point yet. Also, it is small- this is good, and bad, because if it is not absolutley secured, it can 'rock' back and forth when you tap it.

18. jb70

jb70 Member

the boss fs-5u works great, is cheap, and is completely silent (no clicking or popping noise).

19. Sid

Sid Member

i remember one thread in the archives with some great soundclips of the dd20 and on how to build an a/b switch to add functionality anyone got a link to that thread...cant find it

20. jazzguitarplay

jazzguitarplay Member

Hows the quality of the reverse delay?