Picked up a Fender don't know if I like it!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Tuberattler, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Tuberattler

Tuberattler Member

I've been a Fender guy for 20 years and picked up a Blues DeVille 4-10 that was 5 days old for cheap. I'm not sure I like this thing, nice sound but I'm used to my old Fender BF's.

The sound seems a little processed, but I can make it sound similar to my old amps if I adjust the knobs some..too much bass. Drive channel seems cool.

Anyone with experiences or opinion on these Blues DeVilles??

60 watts 4-10 alnico speakers two channels.. educate an old fart..

2. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

You pretty much have to treat those as one channel amps. I've always thought the clean channel in the DeVilles was pretty darn good and I know several touring pros who rely on them every night. For my money, I'd recommend the Bassman RI or the DRRI but for the right price I'd grab the DeVille.

3. Tuberattler

Tuberattler Member

It was 5 days old and I bought it for $400. I think I did pretty good.

4. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

Yes you did. Good solid amp.

5. soldano16

soldano16 Member

Fender amps usually only sound good as Fender amps. What I've heard on the distortion channel wasn't great.

You will probably do much better staying on the clean and using a pedal.

6. Matt H

Matt H Guest

actually, if you think it has too much bass, use the drive channel. it's basically the same as the clean channel, just pops in a high-pass cap and activates the master volume.

keep the mv dimed and use the "Drive" knob as your volume.

also- this may sound silly, but turn the thing up. These amps sound great when moving some air... less so at lower volumes. I've seen a lot of people gig with these (i gigged with one too for a year or so).

7. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

then there's the Omega Amps mods for the fender hot rod series. Haven't heard one myself, but they're relatively inexpensive and a few people on these boards were ravings about them. Been thinking about getting a used hot rod and giving it a try. ya never know.

8. Matt H

Matt H Guest

the hot rod's circuit is actually very different from the blues deluxe/deville's... (which isn't to say they are for areas that ARE similar... i've never heard of omega amps, let alone their mods).

9. 1964

1964 Member

> "I've been a Fender guy for 20 years and picked up a Blues DeVille 4-10 that was 5 days old for cheap. I'm not sure I like this thing, nice sound but I'm used to my old Fender BF's."

FWIW: I'm a Fender guy and don't like the HRDs.

10. Matt H

Matt H Guest

just want to point this out again, since no one seems to get it: the HRD, especially ont he clean channel, is NOTHING like a Blues Deville.

11. Tuberattler

Tuberattler Member

Thanks Matt H, many don't or haven't seen the difference. BTW the more I play it I see it's starting to grow on me. I replaced the first Pre-amp tube with a better sounding tube and it opened it up quite a bit.

12. 1964

1964 Member

> "just want to point this out again, since no one seems to get it: the HRD, especially ont he clean channel, is NOTHING like a Blues Deville."

I get it, but neither offers good tone, IMO, and that's why I think they are readily lumped together. This series of amps all have the same shortcomings. BUT, as always, YMMV.

13. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

that's not a very good example of a Fender amp.

Of the current production models, the Deluxe Reverb RI or the Bassman LTD RI are much better examples. The HR series has a pretty bad reputation, not only for sound but for reliability. Some have not had problems but a lot of people have. I've never heard a HR amp sound as good as a vintage Fender or even a DRRI.

14. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

Actually a quick look at user reviews reveals that the HRDx is more reliable than the DRRI, and the Bassman LTD fares only marginally better. Tone of course is completely subjective. I've seen a lot of pros use both Hot Rods and Blues and they sounded great.

15. Matt H

Matt H Guest

that's actually what's cool about the blues deville- it *isn't* your average fender... probably the most interesting tube amp they've put out in the last 40 years that isn't just a reissue.

as for it not sounding good- get good tubes, bias it, and realize that the tonestack works different than mayn other fenders, and play the thing with some volume? they scream.

no- they're not a BF amp, a glance at the schematics will show you why.

another thing that needs to be considered, is that these *are* 60W amps. like- maybe they're actually only 58.9W clean, but they are, to my knowledge, the highest wattage 2x6l6 guitar amp that FENDER has ever released without using UL. (other people did it... univox and musicman come to mind).

one thing to pay attention to- is that once you get the volume turned up, the treble control turns into something like a "reverse girth" control, for lack of a better description.

i've never met a HR series amp i liked- but i've got a blackfaced sf twin and a bassman 50 at home... and frankly- the BdV is a great amp. (speakers in mine are emi legend 105's, not the alnicos)

16. Tuberattler

Tuberattler Member

I'm startin' to dig it and for the price I couldn't go wrong. I agree it'll never replace any of my old Fenders, I have several BF's and love 'em but it's nice to have something different in the stables.