Picked up a sam ash fuzz

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sixty2strat, Feb 18, 2015.

1. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

They had 2 on sale for 75 bucks so figure why not. Got it home and broke out the strat and fired up the 70's 1/2 stack. I don't know much about them but heard Tommy Bolin used them. I have one live album of his and can sort hear it.

I must admit despite the hype they sound really interesting. Never used an old one but just accepting it as is.Wide rang of tones as the knobs are VERY interactive. Sort of runs a rage of rat to FF to tame Tonbender. It's also very sensitive to the guitar vol knob and will clean up and give you a brilliant clean. It's not too bright and buzzy not muddy like a muff. It can be a bit nasal, but volume and EQ influence that to a large amount.

Seems that if you more an od guy who needs some fuzz this would be a good move

2. con brio

con brio Member

I think this is a similar circuit (the basis for) the Analogman Astrotone, and MojoHand FX Zephyr?

Assuming I'm remembering correct, yes its a great circuit. From memory it's a two transistor fuzz with diode clipping, hence that OD flavour to the fuzz tone. With the Zephyr at least, up to about half way on the fuzz pot is mostly diode clipping, and from noon onward the transistor is starting to add noticeable clipping of its own. If thats not actually whats happening, thats what it sounds like.

3. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

Yeah I say that a pretty fair description of what I'm hearing, roll back the volume pot and seems to go from fuzz to od to boost

4. sanfi4u

sanfi4u Silver Supporting Member

Yep, exactly. A nice circuit that covers both distortion and fuzz territory. Tommy Bolin's secret weapon.

5. Bman20

Bman20 Supporting Member

I done a simple mod to mine to retain the low end and it sounds much better now.

6. SirGilmour

SirGilmour Supporting Member

Tommy Bolin is badass.

ArtDecade likes this.
  7. moemoe6434

moemoe6434 Member

The details are what I like in this post.

8. con brio

con brio Member

I've not had to do the mod myself as the Zephyr comes `pre-modded`, but as the poster up thread hasn't replied, I recall reading that people like to change the input cap (no idea the values sorry) to allow more bass through the circuit, and then changing the tone pot valve as appropriate. Sorry about the vaguery.

9. sanfi4u

sanfi4u Silver Supporting Member

You might like to check this thread for a Fuzzz Boxx mod receipt from BMF FX. Enjoy! As I have both Fuzzz Boxx and Zephyr I think I'll keep my Fuzzz Boxx stock to have different kinds of tone colors.