Picked up my new strat Saturday!!

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by LordRiffenstein, Nov 8, 2005.

1. LordRiffenstein

LordRiffenstein Member

Late August I ordered a strat from Erik Van De Haar in the Netherlands. Besides being distributor/dealer for some high end stuff, the man builds a mean guitar or 2 :D Last summer I bought a Tele from him by total coincidence, it played and sounded so damn good, I had to have it. So now it was time to threat myself a new strat and I went back to him. I have played several of his guitars and they are simply amazing.

My new one has the following specs:

Swamp ash body in see-through blonde
    Maple neck, non-lacquered with 6105 frets
    Sperzel locking tuners
    Haar vintage trem
    Suhr SSH pickups (V60LPs with chrome covered SSV at the bridge)
    Pearloid pickguard and white knobs
    Standard controls with 1ste tone for neck/middle, 2nd tone for bridge and push/pull for the humbucker

I collected it Saturday around noon and played it at his place for about an hour. The neck is totally out there, it is SO comfortable, amazing feel. I have no problems adjusting to different necks but this one fitted straight into my hand. The sides are slightly rounded off for a played in feel and it fits like old shoes :cool: I played it thru a Bruno Cowtipper (more about that later) and some pedals and the range of tones is amazing. The Suhr pickups sound fat and ballsy if you dig in, spanky if needed but they always seem to have a thick syrupy thing going. The SSV is not high output but seems to be perfect for me, when split it sounds just excellent, like a real single coil.

Saturday evening, I had a gig so I went with both my Haar guitars. My bandmates couldn't found enough superlatives when they saw the guitar. I played about 2/3 of the gig with the strat and it seriously inspired me. The guitar is very lightweight and it hangs perfectly on the strap. The sound running thru my own rig amazed me even more. If there's something as having to much fun, I was experiencing it :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. trisonic

trisonic Member

Very nice, my Lord.

It's good to see some more European luthiers featured on this site.

Best, Pete.

3. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Love that finish and neck.
    In het nederlands: Fantastisch!

4. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

Good Lord! That's a pretty guitar!

5. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

Wow, what a beauty! congratulations!
    Love to see some pics of your Tele style one as well

Is there a Haar website?

6. LordRiffenstein

LordRiffenstein Member

Thanks a lot guys, I´ve been playing this guitar exclusively the last couple of days and it´s such a wonderfull instrument. I was not sure how the pickups would work out, I had played the Suhr V60LPs but not the SSV-humbucker but the combination is perfect for me. The SSV is not high output (which I don´t need) and sounds really fat. The kicker is when you split it, it really sounds like a single coil.

Here are some pics of my Haar Tele. 1-piece swamp ash body in daphne blue, maple neck, indian rosewood fingerboard, 6105 frets, Suhr tele pickups. :dude

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the Haar website, most of it is in Dutch but I think you can find your way on the site.

7. 58relic

58relic Member

Now that's a real fine blonde!

I have almost the same on order (except for gold hardware, gold pickguard, slightly reliced). Ready in 2/3 weeks. Now I want mine with a humbucker too, as I never use the bridge pickup on my strats. I'll go to see Erik tomorrow to pick up a THD 2x12. Serious drooling in his candy shop and try out the new Heritage Briton amp and the Valvetech Hayseed and ....

Btw, LordRiff, you forgot to mention that his guitars are very, very reasonably priced! For the price of an American standard strat you get a totally handbuild guitar (from scratch). And he uses the finest pieces of wood. As a former (?) wood dealer he surely knows his stuff.

Enjoy your new baby! :dude

8. LordRiffenstein

LordRiffenstein Member

I saw the body for your guitar when I picked mine up, looked great!! Post some picks when you get it.

Oh yes, I seem to have forgetten to say something about the price but as 58relic said, these handbuild guitars go for the same price as a Fender :dude

9. samtheman

samtheman Member

Just got mine.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

more pics here

10. Da5Id

Da5Id Member

Dat is smakelijk!

Very nice! Beautiful wood on that neck...

11. LordRiffenstein

LordRiffenstein Member

Samtheman, looks AWESOME. I usually don't dig the relic look but I know Erik does a great job with them, great stuff. What are the specs?

12. samtheman

samtheman Member

- hardrock mable neck with rio brazilian fingerboard
    - really light alder
    - 6105 frets
    - suhr V60 LP pu´s
    - fender/haar bridge with steelblock

plays like butter:AOK

13. LordRiffenstein

LordRiffenstein Member

:dude :RoCkIn

Those Suhr pickups are excellent, I LOVE them.

14. jero

jero Member

a bit reminiscent of the Rory Galagher strat. Although I don't think Haar is on the same level as Suhr, Anderson, Tyler, etc, but he can't be beat for the price :)

15. samtheman

samtheman Member

I had 4 Anderson, no one can´t beat this Haar, Suhr and Tyler don´t have a "vintage mojo" IMHO....high price is not always mean high quality....

sam