pickguard options for MIK Squier II Precison bass?

omfg51

I recently purchased this pickguard, planning to drill the holes for screwing it down, but the routing doesn't line up properly anyway, Fender guard, Squier II MIK body.

Can anyone attest to perhaps a Squier produced gold pickguard that would have holes that fit the routing for this body? Or perhaps even a Parchment? I may decide against the gold and want to go with parchment later down the road.

Platypus

not in rivers, but in drops
Silver Supporting Member
Parchment would look cool on that, or black.

Most of the custom pickguard sites I looked at when I was after a custom guard didn't advertise Squier, but most of them said if you can mail them a guard they will create one based on it. I had great luck recently with Greasy Groove for making a custom one for me, perhaps they will be able to make one if you send it in? Pickguardian also offered to make me a custom one if I sent my current guard in.

Sweetfinger

Silver Supporting Member
That bass didn't have a pickguard and even if it did, it would be its own thing. Not much will fit without enough chopping that you'll be unhappy with the result. Honestly, get a new body/bass if a front loaded pickguard look is what you want. I can make a guard to fit but it's a process and not cheap.

Sweetfinger

Silver Supporting Member
Parchment would look cool on that, or black.

Most of the custom pickguard sites I looked at when I was after a custom guard didn't advertise Squier
That's because Squiers have been made in at least seven different countries in probably 20 different factories with model spec changes over almost 40 years. Until very recently, none of the Squiers had guards that matched a "standard" Fender outline, and even a single model like the Squier Affinity P-Bass has had probably four or five different outlines over the model's run. I make a guard for the Squier Bullet Mustang that fits, no question, because they've only made one version. If I sell a Squier P-Bass guard, there's a really good chance it won't fit whatever the customer has, so I tend to stay away from listing P-basses, J-Bassses, Strats, and Teles. Here's a case in point:
You saw those Squier Bullet Teles in the FSR green color? They have a pickguard that is different from the Squier Affinity or other Bullets. A customer just brought in a new Squier Bullet Tele- different guard. Not by much, but enough.

bigtone23

The other side of adding a 'guard to a rear routed instrument is that the current pot shafts may not be long enough to go through the body and the 'guard. You would most likely have to get long shaft pots installed, too.
It may be much easier to just get a standard top routed body that accepts the typical Vintage/US P bass pickguard template vs custom cutting a (super thin) guard to work on this body.
IIRC, these late 80s/early 90s MIK Squier II bodies are plywood, anyway. A replacement body could very well be an upgrade in all respects. I'm 99% sure that the neck and electronics will drop nicely into most any classic/vintage/Standard/American Standard spec P body.

babbyb

Just paint some gold accents on the body. It'll be easier and you don't have to stick to a pickguard shape.

Stripes! Circles! Hearts, stars, horseshoes! Clovers! Blue moons!

Trending Topics