Pickguard vibrating against dog ear P-90 covers on my 330. Should I bother fixing it?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Blazorge, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Blazorge

Blazorge Member

Yep, I have a 330 and the pickguard has always been mounted so that it's set tight up against the dog ear P-90 covers in at least a couple of places. Sometimes this buzzes quite a lot and I was wondering if there is any practical benefit to me taking some light sandpaper to it and fixing it so that it doesn't buzz anymore or if I should just leave it alone.

I have a feeling that I should probably just leave it the hell alone which is exactly what I've done for years. The idea of fixing it or not came up for me again today and just this time, I thought I'd ask you fine folks what you all might think before I decide to just forget about it again.

Thanks for your ideas.

2. Blazorge

Blazorge Member

3. howthewestwas1

howthewestwas1 Supporting Member

Check the adjustment screw on the bracket mounted on the body. With some adjustment you may be able to set the guard so it's not resting so tightly against the pick up. Good luck!

4. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Supporting Member

Elmer's glue a strip of rubber band where it's rubbing.

smiert spionam likes this.
  5. cap10kirk

cap10kirk Member

If it were me, I'd just take the pickguard off. For one, any rattling or vibrating drives me crazy, I have to fix those things. And, I prefer no pickguard, it covers up too much of the guitar imo.

6. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Supporting Member

As an experiment you could take it off and test whether you can play the guitar at a higher volume without feeding back. Or for that matter, if feedback kicks in at a lower volume because the rubbing is inhibiting the pickup covers from contributing to microphonics.

7. Jayyj

Jayyj Supporting Member

My 330 occasionally gets a pickguard rattle that goes away again if I gently tap on the guard.

I don't think you need to do anything with sandpaper - the elastic band idea is a good one, or I sometimes use a little offcut of foam to tighten up a fit and get rid of a rattle. In both cases try to avoid contact with the lacquer anywhere on the guitar though.

smiert spionam likes this.
  8. GrungeMan

GrungeMan Supporting Member

The view from Ice Lake in The Great White North
    Adjust the pickguard.

9. flantrax

flantrax Supporting Member

I had some of that on my Byrdland...drove me nuts...I fixed it by applying some of those thin little self adhesive felt circles people use on furniture underneath the Pickguard in a few places...worked perfect...I bought them at Lowes