Picking a day to say goodbye (Dog tears)

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by TheoDog, Feb 27, 2015.

1. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

It is about time to take our family dog "out to the farm." I am the one to do it.
    The advise that I am using is "better to do it a week too early than a day too late."
    I am kind of waiting for an obvious sign. Day to day is pretty steady, but sad. But when I compare week to week, it is becoming clear. This extended winter isn't helping either.

I am looking for support and sympathetic ears mostly, but how do you pick the right day? Just get it over with? Make a family event? Be objective/clinical? Take a long last walk by the lake on a warm Sunny Sunday?
    My dog I had before I met my wife passed away at home. No decision necessary. I took that pretty hard. This dog was one we adopted together before we were married. Wife is over it. I'm still struggling.

Heartstrings pic- Theo posing with the girls a few years back.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  2. hank57

hank57 Silver Supporting Member

That is a tough thing to plan. You probably want a day like a Saturday for that walk and the goodbye. Then on Sunday just take it easy.

I appreciate that thought of early rather than a day too late. My thoughts are with all of you.

3. CosmicCowboy

CosmicCowboy Member

There is no good answer. In September I said goodbye to the cat that had been my constant companion for 16 years. A week later I met the dog that embodied everything I loved about the cat. She's at my side right now. I still miss my cat. Sympathies, dude. It's not easy to have to make the choice to say goodbye.

What's with all the damn pollen on the forum right now?

4. TwoTubMan

TwoTubMan Member

I don't have any advice for what is always a brutal decision, but I promise to pass along a word to my former buddies to be on the lookout for a new friend.

5. Macleod

Macleod Member

Don't forget the steaks. And hamburgers. Lots and lots of steak and burgers.
    For the dog, you know...

6. snow and steel

snow and steel Supporting Member

If the poor guy is in pain most of the time, it might not be much of a life. Then would be when I would take him to the vet and have him gently put to sleep.

losing a pet is losing a member of the family, and my deepest condolences to you and yours.

7. ethang1977

ethang1977 Member

I recently lost my dog. Had her for 6 years. Her last day was hard but she did have some fun. I let her do all the things she wasn't supposed to do. Got on the couch, ate chocolate, let her walk in the street, take a crap in the neighbor's yard.

8. Tom CT

Tom CT Old Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

My cat died in my arms on the way to the vet for euthanasia two weeks ago. I share your pain and sorrow.

[​IMG]

9. wstsidela

wstsidela I'm bonafied Gold Supporting Member

^^ Oh jezzus!! This thread isn't sad enough without that tearjerker of a cartoon? Are you trying to make me cry?

10. TwoTubMan

TwoTubMan Member

Yea, that pretty much reduced me to a sopping mess.

11. eddie101

eddie101 Member

This is a bit too much for me to take.....

12. sizzlemeister

sizzlemeister Member

I feel for you. The last time for us the decision was obvious; she was in pain, couldn't hold her waste and couldn't hold down her food. The latter two problems came on quick, so, hence the reason for the decision becoming obvious.

My mother would always become a wreck when she had to put down the cats we had when I was a kid. I never quite "got it" until my wife and I had to put down our first dog (even though we had a cat, too, that we put down years earlier). Guess I'm a dog guy and I was wreck for a while.

Anyway, I think the time will become obvious. If it's possible to take walks and do things that'll allow you to feel better, okay, but all of the good times and have really come and gone already. If your dog is in pain, and the weather is bad, is a walk truly in the best interest of the dog or you? They won't know the difference, they'll just be uncomfortable.

Good luck, man, you'll move on.

13. BK Verbs

BK Verbs Gold Supporting Member

Making the call to schedule the appointment was one of the single hardest things I have ever done in my entire life. It was at least as bad as the actual trip to the vet.

I don't envy your situation, especially with kids. I'd say you should all go together and remember at a certain point you are keeping them alive for YOU not them and you can't let them suffer because of it.

Good luck with everything. I wish you the best.

14. Empros

Empros Supporting Member

This is brutal.

15. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

This really pulls at my heartstrings. I'll share my advice and reaffirm that you owe the pet you love the chance to die with dignity before the suffering removes that from them.

I've done the same soul searching process you are now and been through this twice as the man to make the call, make the drive and be the responsible one for it. It does not get easier.

I believe strongly in letting your children knowing what is happening with compassion, understanding and honesty. Let them say goodbye. I'm not big into surprising them nor do I want to create that mistrust where you 'steal' their pet away. This is a circle of life lesson and every living thing must at some point die. It's so hard; but life and death isn't easy.

I'll pray for you and your family. It's so hard. Just step up and do the right thing because it is part of being a good pet owner. They are so hard to let go of; but it's cruel to make them suffer. Putting it off does no good to them or for you. When it is time, it is time. Celebrate the time you had with them as part of your family, serve them a meal the day before that they always loved and give yourself time and permission to grieve afterwards.

People here on this forum really were kind and posted some very positive affirmative supportive messages that I truly appreciated a few months back when I did this for my little guy that had been with my family for 19 years; I hope my message to you helps in some small way in the same manner and spirit.

16. holden_caufield9

holden_caufield9 Member

I dread the day I have to make this call. Mojo sent bro.

In times like this I think of the old A.A. Milne quote and it helps put things in perspective. I hope it does the same for you.

"How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard."

17. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

This thread is turning out better than I expected.

18. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

It's hard to do. I've had to do this by myself with 3 of our cats who died of cancer. My wife wouldn't go with me to vet for this. Maybe, it's a little easier for me since my grandfather was a veterinarian and I helped him many times with various procedures. But, it still is difficult.

We decided on "the day" based on the quality of life the pet was having. Cats tend to be a little more inscrutable about pain than dogs but you can still tell. Basically, we knew it was time and, in a way, the cats let us know it. It's like they had given up.

19. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I've been waiting for years to get the dog I want, due to family circumstances. I have a 7 month old German Shepherd who is completely full of herself and has brought so much joy to our house.

If after 7 months, she owns me so completely, I can't imagine having to make this decision a few years down the line. I feel for you man, I really do.

20. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

I had to put my 14 year old golden retriever down a few months ago. Maybe the hardest thing I ever did. Sorry for your loss brother.