Picking Boutique Compressor...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by IronChefChris, Jan 24, 2012.

1. IronChefChris

IronChefChris Member

I'm looking to replace the ol Dyna-Comp which I don't care for too much but stopped working recently...and I'm looking for something to give me a nice smooth compression with nice sustain...very Trey Anastasio-esque. I looked at the Bi-comp which I think he uses but it's just outta my price range...I'd like to stay under $175...

I'm picking btwn the;
    -Fromel Velvet Vice
    -Analogman Juicer
    -Barber Tone Press

...I'm dumb with compressors and don't know what to look for really and can't try any of em but I know I dont care for the Dyna comp too much as it's pretty damn noisy on most settings

2. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

You can find a mini-bicomp on the emporium for a bit over your budget. I hate compressors, but the versatility of that box sure gave me a run for my money.

3. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

Ive tried tons of comps and my search ended with the Diamond. I can do so much with it. Humbuckers or single coils, it works great for me. I see them in the emporium for $150ish.

Rob

4. Yonderwanderer

Yonderwanderer Member

I have a standard bicomp and I think it's great - does everything I want it too and then some.

5. ferrell

ferrell Member

youd be wise to also consider wampler ego

6. Hey_wilson

Hey_wilson Member

mini bicomp all the way

7. jkokura

jkokura Member

Tone Press user here.

Trey has been famous for using a Ross after two TS-9s. The Tone Press is essentially a modded Ross with a clean blend. The Keeley is also a pretty straight across Ross Clone.

My favourite comp for my own use.

Jacob

8. Farbulous

Farbulous Member

Another vote for Diamond.

I'd check out the Ovnilabs website if you want to be really thorough in your search:

http://www.ovnilabs.com

9. Antelope

Antelope Member

The cmatmods compressor is a nice Ross clone for $140 new (I think).

10. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

I think the clean blend (Wampler & Barber) is a fantastic (and for me, required) addition to a compressor, so those 2 get my vote.

11. jb4674

jb4674 Member

Get the Empress compressor. Although it's $249.00, you'll get to spend your money right the first time and not worry about it not suiting you.

12. Clean Channel

Clean Channel Member

:agree

13. feralchild

feralchild Member

Just bought a Wampler Ego myself. Should arrive tomorrow. You can get 20 bucks off the regular price if you sign up for his mailing list. That puts you at about 185 if you count shipping.

I am also interested in Trey's methods, although I certainly don't chase his tone (that would require me buying a Languedoc, now wouldn't it?). Trey uses a vintage Ross compressor which the Ego is *supposedly* based upon (with the addition of some other stuff like the blend knob). Never gotten a clear answer on this however. The important thing for me is that it will function similarly, when placed AFTER the dirt, as Trey and I both prefer.

When it shows up, I will jam out on some Divided Sky and I'll let you know how it goes.

14. Ace.

Ace. Member

go for okko coca comp. very nice compressor!

15. racecar

racecar Supporting Member

I also agree, I bought one earlier this month after returning another brand and have to say it is very transparent and the controls allow a bunch of fine tuning. I learned about the Empress on TGP and it was the right way to go for me and I am very happy. If there is something actually better, I have yet to find it and would be interested in trying one. I won't say the Empress is the best, I don't think there is a best, but if you go with one of the top contenders, I don't think you can go wrong either way.

All compressors are not equal. Try them out if you can, if you can't go with one of the top three on that comparison site, Empress, Diamond and Tone Press. I don't think you could go wrong with any of these three.

16. durbanpoison

durbanpoison Member

Not in your requested price range, but the best compressor I've played is the BJFE Pine Green Compressor. As a back-up, I "second" those who have suggested the Analogman Bi-Comp. I don't care that much for the Ross side, but I love the Juicer side!

17. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

I have a tone press and a Diamond Comp. I think the tone press is more what you are looking for. It has a color control inside that is worth opening to adjust and play with.

I believe Trey runs his Ross after his overdrive pedals and I have tried that with the tone press with a good result, it was in the ball park.

18. Footbutt

Footbutt Supporting Member

has anyone tried/loved the Strymon OB.1 compressor?
    i told myself compressors are not for me, but this thing is sparking some interest...

19. Maxo Weeze

Maxo Weeze Member

Love the Wampler! Wonderful tone and very versatile. I've tried a few including the Keeley, MXR, Diamond, and the Wampler IMHO delivered the best results. I don't think you can go too far wrong with any of the ones mentioned here though...