• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Picking Picks (Picks, not pickups)

78deluxe

Its not just a couple of bucks. Its over ten dollars for 6 picks once you include shipping. To me, that is too much money to waste.

Those V-Picks are also four or five dollars a pick. I'm a schoolteacher. I can't afford that.
I would send you some Tusk picks, but honestly they are so bad I don't want to contribute to anyone's poor tone.

You are correct in assuming $10 would be wasted on them.

V-Picks (once you find the one for you) are worth it, IMO.

tomc3084

I love V Picks. I get hand cramps easily, so I bought one of those 30$ colossal picks. Not only is it extremely comfortable and I no longer get hand cramps, but my picking speed has gotten much better. When switching to a normal pick, it is like taking off a donut weight on a baseball bat, if that makes sense.

Stratobuc

So, I just made my first pick with my Pickmaster punch. Had an old room key card, loaded it in the top - punch. I started laughing uncontrollably, thinking about all the money I just saved. These things are well worth it - every guitarist should have one!

Telecasterguy

$4 - $8 or so for a pick seems to be a lot of money, but how many picks of just 50 cents do we shred/loose/eat in a year ?

In case I pay less than before, because I think I use just 1 "expensive" pick a year.
I used about 2 picks (Dunlop, Fender etc.) a week.

How do guys think about that ?

Right now I use a ChickenPicks 2.2 and I alway had some V-Picks which were great.
I think that the ChickenPicks 2.2 is a little more durable

Got them from www.chickenpicks.com, but hoping to find a dealer here in the US.
They ship from Europe if I m right.

greenlion

I've added a few more to my growing collection. I'm really liking the larger Triangle Tortex Picks. They really help highlight downward pick-slanting while shredding and if you wear out one tip, you still have two more tips. I've been using them for bass as well.

Rob (I guess??) from Rob's String Shack, who I've been getting these multipacks from, sent me a couple of extra picks to try. The Glow-in-the-dark D'Addario picks made by Planet Waves are very slick on the strings. Very low friction and very fast. The gripping surface is one of the slickest of any of the picks too, so that might not be great when sweating on a hot stage.

One that has quickly become one of my favorites is the D'Addario Duragrip line. When shredding, I actually hold a little too low on the picks for the molded-in grip surface to do much good, but I really like the material. It is very similar to the Tortex, maybe just a hair stiffer, and you can get thicker versions of it than you can in the Dunlop Tortex line. If you were chugging away at metal or strumming chords this would offer the best grip surface I've felt.

My least favorite out of all the picks is the D'Addario Cortex pick. It has a loud clicking sound when shredding and at the same time it is really sticky feeling when leaving the string (not the grip, but the string release). It feels really slow, and I feel like the pick is struggling to roll over the string and let go.

Funny I did a vid the other day comparing the tone to 3 of the picks I use the most. You guys can take a listen and see if you like any of them.

The Blue Chip Jazz 60, V-Pick Euro, & Timber Tones Jazz Tones: Blackhorn. What differences can you hear if any? Which one do you like?

kyoungsteadt

Frankenstrat86,

Thanks for posting the video. The differences between the three picks are subtle from what I can hear through my speakers. The Blue Chip Jazz 60 and Timber Tones Jazz Tones sound pretty close to each other. The V-Pick Euro has less edge to the sound and makes your playing sound smoother. I like the V-Pick Euro best for Jazz.

Which pick of the three do you like best?

Frankenstrat86,

Thanks for posting the video. The differences between the three picks are subtle from what I can hear through my speakers. The Blue Chip Jazz 60 and Timber Tones Jazz Tones sound pretty close to each other. The V-Pick Euro has less edge to the sound and makes your playing sound smoother. I like the V-Pick Euro best for Jazz.

Which pick of the three do you like best?
I love the reaction to this vid. I put this on facebook and everyone hears things in unique ways. For some the differences were vast for others like yourself not so much plus what they heard varied from pick to pick.

One thing I wish I could convey is how the picks feel in my hand. For me the blue chip has the balance of feeling like an extension of the hand as well as being applicable for a majority of what I do.

popvulture

I used Dunlop tortex blues exclusively for years, then ended up falling in love with Clayton Ultem .72s when one came with a Skreddy pedal I ordered. Now I sorta mix and match... the Claytons for faster, more agile playing and the blues for more heft/bluntness when I want it. For acoustic playing, still always the blues.

pennylink

I've been using Blue Chip picks for the last few years (TAD-50 or TAD-60, depending on the guitar). I wish they were more affordable, but the same picks last me for years without showing wear and they do offer the best tone for my playing.

john beddoe

i just got some chicken picks. To me, they seem very raspy and bright. Perhaps good for a very dark sounding guitar. Not for me...

VinceM

Funny I did a vid the other day comparing the tone to 3 of the picks I use the most. You guys can take a listen and see if you like any of them.

The Blue Chip Jazz 60, V-Pick Euro, & Timber Tones Jazz Tones: Blackhorn. What differences can you hear if any? Which one do you like?
Hey thanks for posting that video. I thought the extremes were the V-Pick which had a softer more muffled attack and the Timber Tones which had a very clear articulate sound. The TT clarity was especially noticeable (and nice) on the clean chordal passage. In the subsequent lead passage it seems like it could be a bit harsh. But of course that could probably be eq'd out. The Blue Chip seems to strike a balance between these extremes.

And as you say - the Blue Chips just kind of melt into your hand. I've been a Blue Chip user for awhile now and for they are the most "right" pick for any type of electric playing (from solid body to full hollow big jazz box). But for acoustic playing, that's another story...

Hey thanks for posting that video. I thought the extremes were the V-Pick which had a softer more muffled attack and the Timber Tones which had a very clear articulate sound. The TT clarity was especially noticeable (and nice) on the clean chordal passage. In the subsequent lead passage it seems like it could be a bit harsh. But of course that could probably be eq'd out. The Blue Chip seems to strike a balance between these extremes.

And as you say - the Blue Chips just kind of melt into your hand. I've been a Blue Chip user for awhile now and for they are the most "right" pick for any type of electric playing (from solid body to full hollow big jazz box). But for acoustic playing, that's another story...
Thanks for checking the vid man, glad you dug it. Nice to talk to a fellow Blue Chip user. I love your assessment of the picks. I felt the same way actually. I think though one couldn't go wrong with any of these picks. Each one I've used for a year or more in everyday playing and sessions. I'd like to do this again with Red Bear and Gravity picks down the line

GT100

I have a Blue chip and V-pick and gravity. The gravity's and V's are more or less the same -the only difference is the shape. The Blue Chip is a hair darker, never chirps (not that its an issue for me) and glides over the strings better.
The differences are there but they are very subtle. The only reason I even got the Blue Chip is because some had mentioned that it was "tacky" to the touch.
My hands are on the dry side so outside of the summer months I don't have enough moisture in my digits to properly grip a pick.
The Blue Chip is only slightly better for grip than the others so I'm still looking for a better solution.

Lloyd

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a Blue chip and V-pick and gravity. The gravity's and V's are more or less the same -the only difference is the shape. The Blue Chip is a hair darker, never chirps (not that its an issue for me) and glides over the strings better.
The differences are there but they are very subtle. The only reason I even got the Blue Chip is because some had mentioned that it was "tacky" to the touch.
My hands are on the dry side so outside of the summer months I don't have enough moisture in my digits to properly grip a pick.
The Blue Chip is only slightly better for grip than the others so I'm still looking for a better solution.

Lloyd

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Have you tried something with grip holes?

jeancoltrane

for any jazz III users out there id definitely recommend checking out the dava version. its half rubber with a red jazz tip, you can choke up on it for speed and choke back for flexible strumming. its easy to grip and has a snappier tone. also been experimenting with the hendrix tin heavy picks, for some reason the shape/size seems slightly different than other med/heavy picks and i think are actually cellulose so have nice tone. tried various v picks but found they wore very quickly and developed burrs/grooves on the tips that gave awful plinky tone.

kyoungsteadt

One thing I wish I could convey is how the picks feel in my hand. For me the blue chip has the balance of feeling like an extension of the hand as well as being applicable for a majority of what I do.
I understand exactly what you mean by the pick feeling like an extension of your hand. It sounds like you have found your perfect pick for the time being in the Blue Chip pick. Thanks again for posting the video. I enjoyed listening to your samples. I am very interested in the tonal difference between different picks and pick materials. Also in how the pick is made, and how that affects playability and feel. Have a good day!

Trending Topics