Picking technique

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by mleggett, Feb 14, 2012.

1. mleggett

mleggett Member

I used to play fingerstyle using a classical technique but I developed some nerve damage in my right hand about 15 years ago so I switched over to a pick. I've been struggling with pick control ever since and I developed some workarounds, including anchoring my wrist and/or using a thumbpick, and I could burn it up to an extent, but always mediocre tone and a really mechanical attack.

So today Denis Sandole's Guitar Lore arrived, and I've determined to develop a picking technique based on his advice. I can now play about half as fast [half fast] as I used to, but the tone is better immediately, the phrasing looser, and I know speed will come if I practice slowly enough.

Tony Decaprio once told me that he completely changed his picking technique over to Sandole's ideas when he was in the middle of a successful and lucrative studio career, so if Tony can do it while maintaing a demanding career, then I can at least make the attempt in my living room.

Wish me luck.

2. tonejunky

tonejunky Member

What is the picking technique?

3. trap

trap Supporting Member

well if that Chuck Anderson guy is doing it ,it doesn't look like anything revolutionary. But i would be interested in knowing more.