Picking up a Goodrich Volume Pedal, it's not worth the money just for a volume pedal!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by michael.e, Jan 3, 2006.

1. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Well,

That is what I used to think.

So I got an LDR2 a couple of weeks ago. It was the best money spent in a very long time. Retaining dynamics as well as tone preservation is very important to me and this pedal handles that task incredibly well. The tone does cut just ever so slightly when in the most extreme of useable volume settings, but it is a non-issue. I have yet to fiddle with the trim pots on the bottom, I may not ever need to.

I plug into the Full Frequency jack and my Strat/Reinhardt JTM 45/Hotplate/Blues setup is utterly gorgeous sounding! I do not play standard rock type music for the most part, but when I need it, that "tone" is there!

I cannot WAIT to pick up my Sexamp tomorrow!! I have a feeling that this combo is going to sound stellar with that amp as well!!!!

I can never go back to a passive volume pedal again, I am ruined........

M.E.

2. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

This is good to hear.

I'm in need of a volume pedal and have been looking at my options.

3. dinrodef

dinrodef Guest

It's amazing what you lose with a standard volume pedal or guitar volume pot huh?... I couldn't believe the first time I used an ldr2

4. michael.e

I received excellent service in speed and knowledge from Tonetronix.

It is also the absolute best price on the net that I had found. Again, well worth the money spent. M.E.

5. michael.e

Yes, it is pretty amazing.

I liken it to the very first time that I started using a cordless drill for work. but WAY more fun and alot less mundane! M.E.

6. rh

rh Robo Sapien Noise Maker Gold Supporting Member

I'm perfectly OK with spending what an LDR2 costs if it resolves the tone suck etc problem with passive volume pedals, but I have a question about your experience with a passive volume pedal.

Did you try or have any luck with putting a buffer in front of the passive volume pedal? If so, how great is the difference between that and the LDR2?

7. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

I should start by saying i've never heard of this active volume pedal - but i'm now looking into it! That being said, here's my question...

I use my volume pedal in my effects loop, just before my dl4 for delay swells. I currently run a doobtone microbuffer in my direct chain.

Does this buffer also affect the pedals in the effects loop? If not, can I put *another* line buffer before the passive volume pedal?

Brian

8. michael.e

Yes I did.
    I had the EB VP-JR. As a rule, I do not like what buffers do to my signal, but I have found a more than suitable way to keep my tone at it's most dynamic and bouncy. I have a COT50 on all the time set at it's lowest level. I use a TCJauring Luxury Drive set clean for bumping up my Strat and a D/13 Joyride set clean for bumping up my P-90's and HB's. The tone is incredibly lively and dynamic, even moreso than plugging straight in. All of that "goldy shimmer" is still there, just as much, if not moreso than plugging straight in. My tone has retained that natural sound that plugging straigt in affords.
    I was very satisfied with using my VP-JR in this rig, I thought that I would just bite the bullet and take a chance, even if it was a 10% increase in aural pleasure.....
    Well, I liken the difference to the situation whereby I was still using Whirlwind and Spectraflex guitar cables and I made the switch to Evidence Audio. Simply stunning is all I can say, but the difference I am experiencing with the volume pedals, is far and away vastly greater than my epiphany with guitar cables.
    It is one of those things that you don't think you may need until you actually have it. I bought the Goodrich before investing in a Tim or Eternity [still undecided there]. Anyway, I am really glad that I did it, it brings me an enormous amount of confidence on the floor. M.E.

9. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Michael,
    Don't know if you got my message that I got the amp today, what an incredible packer you are. Ran it for about 10 minutes, sounds like what I was hoping for. It is the polar opposite of the Sex Amp, but I have other single channel amps that do that open thing. I really hope you love the Sex Amp! I really dig it. The cool thing is the Modena does not sound anything like my other channel switcher, the Bruno Super 100.

How much was the Goodrich, I've been wanting a volume pedal that does not kill the tone. What website is it on?

For you others, Michael is a great guy to do biz with, I'm sure you all know that!:)

10. michael.e

I could be wrong, but I do not believe that this unit has a buffer. It has a normal and full frequency input, but I do not believe that a buffer is used to attain this. That said, if it is a buffered unit, I have never heard such a natrual and bouncy tone from a buffered pedal, ever. Like I said above, I do not like buffered pedals in my line. All of my pedals that react to buffered signals, show no signs of any buffering whatsoever. They have all of the "give" that Plugging straight into my Analogman A/B/Loop switcher affords me. Again, I do not think this unit is buffered. M.E.

11. michael.e

Hey Gilbert!

Thanks for the props!!

I am so stoked that you got the amp today! I am really glad that you are digging it!! :AOK

I am picking up the Sexamp tomorrow morning from the UPS depot in Santa Cruz. I am leaving for a couple of days tomorrow and I did not want to chance the package getting destroyed by leaving it in the hands of the shipping co.

I searched the net for the best prices on the LDR2 and "Tonetronix" had the best prices AND the owner was a HUGE help in allowing me to decide on which unit was best for me. Really knowledgable guy! I am searching for the receipt, but I believe the unit ran something like $269.00 or $279.00 [EDIT $265.00 shipped!]. It came with the power supply and was shipped DHL couriers.

http://www.tonetronix.com/

Great experience in doing buisiness with them.

Again, I am really glad that the amp came today and you are happy with it!! M.E.

12. rh

Thanks very much -- good info!

I think I saw that you're getting a Sex Amp; if so, congrats. I've owned two of Adam's amps, and played a great FireAmp to boot, and if it made sense for me to have 3+ amps around to match my mood, I'd never have sold them. There's nothing else that sounds like them, in my experience.

13. michael.e

Now THAT is great to hear!!

I am sooo excited to pick it up tomorrow!!

I have wanted one for a very long time. M.E.

14. Myron Stratis

Myron Stratis Member

What is the difference between the full frequency and normal inputs?

15. michael.e

Well, I would liken it to "Hi-Fi", but that is not entirely accurate...I think. I hear extended highs and lows and the sparkly articulation when doing soft plucks and passages is really beautiful. That said, when digging in to the strings for lead passages, there is no harshness associated with extended highs.

Normal input is just like plugging in if the pedal were not there.

There are trim pots on the bottom for volume and tone. I have not played around with those yet.

The headroom is fantastic with this pedal as well. Everything simply sounds better.

M.E.

16. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

Is there a tuner out on the goodrich?
    Thanks
    Lou

17. webb

webb Member

I'm glad to hear it's working well for you. I bit the bullet today and should have mine in a week.

18. rh

Same here, except that I've got to wait two weeks. Apparently they've been selling like hotcakes.

Gee. I wonder why? :)

19. michael.e

Just got back into town.

Yes, there is an amp/tuner out on the pedal. M.E.