• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Picking up a macbook pro. Can someone recommend an interface?

LPV

I am totally new to this. I used Ubuntu studio a few years ago but it was too hard to learn and had too many hardware issues so I gave up. Now I am looking for something that is not expensive and is decent sounding that I can use with a new Macbook pro. I am not looking to become a pro I just want something to mess around with and try some cab IR's. Will start with garageband. Thanks!

Papanate

A fantastic deal is the ALVA NanoFace.

If it looks like the RME Babyface . but has some changes that you might not
care about. The Babyface has ADAT optical; The ALVA has SPDIF.
The ALVA is made in China - The Babyface is reportedly made in Germany.
The Biggest difference though is the Babyface is $750+ and the Nanoface is
$250.

Steve73

I'm really happy with my Apogee Duet 2. They are plug in and go with Macs and are really easy to use. They also sound great!

Nelson89

Not expensive and decent sounding, i'd probably go with a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 to be honest, i've used it quite a bit and it sounds great for what it is, it's pretty cheap and a good overall starter interface. It's not as good as something like an Apogee Duet/2 or RME Babyface, but it's no where near the cost of those either.

pattste

Silver Supporting Member
In order of preference (and descending price):

RME Babyface
Apogee Duet
Focusrite Forte

LPV

The preamp quality seems to be the biggest difference between various models. Man, these can get expensive! That nanoface looks neat. Its on ebay for $149. I think I am going to just pick up something used until I know exactly what I want. I only have 1 mic right now and its a condenser so I need phantom too.

Monotremata

Hope this doesnt sound too much like an endorsement but.. If youre going Mac, you cant EVER go wrong with anything made by MOTU.
Not only are they first and foremost a Mac company (and one of the longest supporters of it as well), you are not going to find MOTU dumping support for older interfaces everytime a new one comes out.

My 10 year old 828MKII still gets driver updates and is stlil as rock solid as it has been since day 1 (I bought it literally the day Sam Ash unloaded their very first shipment off the truck). I dont have the fancy new DSP built in like the MK3 does but dont need it, this thing rocks. I even had the infamous LCD burnout that most of the very first generation of them had and MOTU didnt even think twice when I asked about getting it repaired (I never sent it in due to work and finally fixed it myself a few months ago, but hey they were awesome about it and didnt even blink about repairing it for free).

Nowadays Apogee seems to be Apple's shining star but theyre not exactly cheap, neither is the RME stuff.. But if youve got the cash, RME and Apogee will eat anything else mentioned in this thread alive as far as sound quality goes.. One of my first 'pro' sound cards was an RME Digi 96/8PST and like MOTU, they supported that thing for yeeeeeeeears, even after they dropped the product line and started putting out the 'Face' named cards and interfaces.. Wish I still had it but like an idiot I left it in my roommates Mac at my old rehearsal space when I moved away and he didnt even know it was still in there and gave the damn Mac to the guy that owned the building!

Tax return time is here and Ive got enough to buy an RME or a Metric Halo coming, and have been looking at new interfaces but to be honest. After weighing it out, the 828MKII is giving me NO reason to replace it at all other then maybe wanting the newer DSP models or converters but its still working just fine, does everything I want it to.. And now that I opened it up and fixed the dead LED on the display so I can read the front again, I can easily see it lasting in my studio another 10 years.. Years and years ago, way before the days of Mac OS X (and before I even had my first G3 desktop), I used to use their MIDI interfaces with Cubase/Cakewalk and just like their audio interfaces, they ruled. The only reason Im not still using my MIDI Express XT is, it was an old parallel/serial port device, and by the time they released the newer USB version, I had already replaced it with an Emagic AMT8 (since I had moved to Logic anyways)..

Up until last year, their Digital Performer software was strictly Mac only, and the only thing they ever bothered with on the PC side were making sure their drivers worked on Windows.. They were even the first ones to adopt Mac OS X and CoreAudio/MIDI and Firewire audio when they put out the first 828 (which I also owned and actually sold to buy the MKII).

Trending Topics

Top Bottom