Picking up the pieces after your band drops you...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by phillybri, Apr 23, 2015.

1. phillybri

phillybri Supporting Member

I assume most of us have been there at some point. In my case, my bass player never liked me, so the door was shown to me.

But here's the funny thing: once the initial shock left, my motivation to keep playing and form a better band went THROUGH THE ROOF.

How did the rest of you react after going shitcanned?

Onward and upward, bitches...

2. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

Happened to me last year.

I decided to go solo after the rather nasty experience--why should I let some knucklehead I barely know make decisions when a perfectly competent knucklehead like me is available?

3. jrh_67

jrh_67 Member

Everything in life will be fine as long as you're moving forward and not looking back...

4. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

I've gotten fired three times, once was unexpected, the second time was an overdue blessing, the third wasn't expected per se, but wasn't a surprise when it happened. All three times I just considered what I wanted to do next and set about doing it--either doing more solo shows and recording, or placing/answering ads for new bands. The last time, I was already in another band, so it just freed up time for everything else.

5. Simon

Simon Supporting Member

I was fired from my first band, and I went on to accomplish much more then they ever did.

6. melodiusthunk

melodiusthunk Bronzd & Supported Member Silver Supporting Member

Wisdom to live by.

7. sanrico

sanrico Member

I've been fired once and it was really not my fault. They fired their (excellent) guitarist because they wanted a more "rock" sound, so they hired me. I gave them exactly what they wanted and they praised me for it. When their old fans complained about the new edgy sound, I got fired and they hired back their original guitarist.

No, my name isn't Dave Navarro, haha!

I was so discouraged, I stopped playing for years. What a shame. I wish I could go back in time and change that era, because it was a GREAT time for playing original music (mid 90's).

8. imastratoholic

imastratoholic Supporting Member

Good for you man. It sounds like it was a good thing that you were able to get out of that situation. Maybe not on your terms, but you got out. Don't look back!

9. paranoid70

paranoid70 Member

Just getting over a 'thanks but no thanks' situation. Caught me completely off-guard and no reason was given. The band was in the developing stages, but I thought we were all at the same level just trying to get stuff going.

Problem is that there is very little need for guitar players in my area, especially for music I am interested in playing. So moving on to find another band is extremely difficult.

10. zestystrat

zestystrat Member

Ive been on the other side: where we had to let a guy go, in this case was b/c he just wasn't putting the work in.

After that he was was much more dedicated to every project he was in (his words, not mine). He almost thanked me. Almost...but he made sure to tell me.

On the flip side, I was in a great band in my younger days. I went for a vacation in the summer (everyone was super cool about it, we discussed etc).

When I got back they had reformed without me, playing gigs and were already working on a record. It hurt for sure, but i started doing my own thing which lead to the stuff I'm doing today so I'm pretty happy with the way things went. Also...most of those guys (all talented players) are even gigging anymore. :D

I just found that tape they made. I took a pic and sent it to one of the guys just as a laugh. He said that at one point they were re-thinking their decision and were going to call me and get me back into the fold.

I hadn't thought about that band or any of those guys really until I found that tape, maybe in 10-15 years...could have cared less about how things went now. But you know what? When I heard that they were thinking about bringing me back, for a split second I was kind of PO'd all over again. But who cares, it's not like I'm Pete Best or something....they went nowhere.

But it's like getting dumped. You just keep moving....

11. CRBMoA

CRBMoA Member

I was let go from an original band in about '92. We had recorded 2 albums and were opening bigger shows, but I was never a good fit, and we all knew it.

Even so, I took it hard and basically stopped playing for 6 months.

It bruises your ego and hurts your pride. But then it is time to move on and the takeaway is to choose your next situation more carefully.

A little stalking and slashing the new boyfriend's tires also helps.

Oh wait, that's for GF's not bandmates. Sorry.

12. hubberjub

hubberjub Silver Supporting Member

Everybody gets fired. In my experience (both firing and being fired) it's rarely about ability to play and more often about personality. I was fired from a side project last year because I didn't get along with the band leader in the way he wanted to treat the other band members (though we get along otherwise). The main band I play in fired our bassist two weeks ago. It wasn't because he was incapable of playing the parts, he just wasn't the type of person we wanted to spend time with. That happens.

13. doctorx

doctorx Member

It's just a band. There are thousands more where that one came from, that would love to have you play with them.

14. Mule

Mule Member

"my motivation to keep playing and form a better band went THROUGH THE ROOF.'

Bingo. I was booted from a band that I formed. I went formed my own band and had more success. I'm still playing and the rest are sitting at home. Too bad because were friends and always sounded good together.

15. Anthony Gring

Anthony Gring Silver Supporting Member

that's funny .I got fired 3 times from the band I formed over the course of 12 years . moved on to other projects . I just recently quit the last band that I was in . Two year project that just became less and less fun . I'm relieved to be out of it . putting my time and energy into playing at church now .

16. crgtr

crgtr Supporting Member

You just keep goin' Brian. Keep that motivation. We've all had it happen. It happened to me in LA with a band that looked like they were on the verge of a big deal. The band leader kicked me out after constantly praising my contribution to the band. It got very stressful towards the end. It worked out though. I left LA & landed on my feet. I went right to a steady working band who was glad to have me. Hell, even ended up with a short lived record deal! (the band that canned me never got one!) Anyway, your a great player & I know you'll land on your feet. Just keep playing that awesome purple gtr!

17. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Strong motivator, for sure.

Keep a positive attitude, work on the chops, and something better will come around.

18. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

Heard from a guy who started the band, developed the concept, promo stuff, website, and paid for the first cd costs, produced and mixed.

Together ten years, second cd underway, he is canned.

By his band.

He is still going to finish the record for them. Bigger man than I.

19. Pablomago

Pablomago Member

I just licked my wounds and moved on. Yeah, it sucked as I loved the band and co-founded it, but we were young and stupid and didn't know what we had. It was my first band.

Have you ever been in a band where the leader felt like they owned you and wouldn't let you leave without there being a price to pay? Now that's a weird one. I ended up moving out of state.

20. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

I was asked not to come back cause I was too critical. Of course I didnt mind. They really didnt know what they were doing.