1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Picks - my finger nail - I REALLY need help

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mannish, May 19, 2011.

1. mannish

mannish Member

I do not use a flat pick correctly. I grip it close to tip and my freakin index finger nail hits the strings with the pick. It is KILLING my nail. I glue on two fake ones before a gig one of top of the other. Practice without a fake nail killed me last night.

I thought I saw some picks years ago that had something like a finger slot or something on it where your index finger would slide in - I do not think it was made to protect the nail although it would
    Anyone know about

I do not how to change rp gripping the pick farther up, I lose feel

I played national without pickups forever using my nails to down rake quite a it. I do not know if that is why I have trouble with flat pick. I never had this problem until the last three years or so playing with the band. It's not occasional it's EVERY TIME I play

It is getting old to have to glue a a couple nails on before every gig

any suggestions - any pick suggestions..? that might help

2. /13guitarman

/13guitarman Member

Don't cut your nail so short. Try using a bandade on you index finger. Do not use the shiny bandade, too slipperry. Seriously a bandade should help and try to let your nail grow a little longer.

3. mannish

mannish Member

Well my nail grew out some due to using the fake ones - after last night it is gone. It is not the nail tip but so much as about 1/3 from the nail tip - I could very easy wear a hole in my fingernail. Yesterday I tried to glue a thin flexible pick to a med gauge a little above the pick tip, thinking I could slip my finger between the two & the flexi would offer protection. It did not stay glued.....However I am going to try it again today.

I never cut the nail, NEVER - I considered acrylic but someone said they could crack

4. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

You might try a bigger pick, hold it properly, and adapt.

5. Jeff el

Jeff el Member

I've got the same issue, albeit not quite so severe. I'm just relearning how to hold a pick - treat the problem, not the symptoms.

6. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Silver Supporting Member

Alaska pick is what you were asking about:
    http://www.alaskapik.com/
    But I'm with the others - change your technique. Fix the problem, not the symptom.

7. mannish

mannish Member

I tired the Alaska as a finger pick before... I tried using a finger pick backwards to cover the nail.

I know I should change the way I hold a pick but I been gigging every weekend - at home I work on it but no way I am going to gig without a fake nail at this point.

I just went and bought several different shapes of picks to see if that might help

When I remove the fake nail I always have a bruise under my real nail in that same spot. It must have something to do with my sloppy style which I make no apologies
    Possibly the angle of my down stroke

I am going to rectify it somehow or another. It's getting old.....

8. MickyZ

MickyZ Member

I have a similar problem - the top of my index finger nail gets shaved down by the strings, and eventually gets thin enough to wear through if I don't catch it in time. My solution was to start using clear nail polish with a nail stengthener on that fingernail. It made the nail thicker, harder, and more slippery, and if I let it set correctly it would last a couple gigs before starting to peel. It was clear, so it wasn't noticeable during the day. Feels weird until you get used to it, though. Ask your wife/GF what she knows about what's available. And good luck.

9. Julia343

Julia343 Member

I have the same problem. Not as bad as it used to be since I'm fixing the technique. However, my nails tend to split across at the tips. No nail hardener, or nail strengthener works. They all just flake off in a couple days. Clear nail polish flakes off in a couple days.

I'm trying this stuff now: Hoof Flex. It's a hoof conditioner. But then that stuff doesn't protect, so they use this other stuff called Hoofer's Choice (shield top coat). it's clear. It doesn't flake. They use it on show horses because it doesn't flake off. It will last several days. Apply once a week or a couple times a week. You may need two or three coats for your issue. They sell it at Sally's Beauty supply or you can get it for about 20% of the price from a veterinary supply house online.

Equine products for hair and nails work better than the "human" products.

10. mannish

mannish Member

EXACTLY although mine would wear through in 2 or 3 set gig - I have used nail strengthener for years on my picking hand. Until I find a way I will have to use a fake nail. thanks for the responses

11. guitar mangler

guitar mangler Member

All the really good metal rhythm players strike the string with the pick and their finger. Hetfield etc. I remember an article on a guitar mag with the guitar player from, I think, shadows fall saying it was the secret of the fat guitar sound.
    It particulary annoys me as I have a permanent slope the wrong way on my nail, which gets in the way of my classical playing.

12. PaddyBrumson

PaddyBrumson Member

I have the same picking technique but don't view it as poor technique since I like the sort or double attack I get with the pick and nail. I just use the technique for single note playing, not strumming. Tried a lot of stuff, but this is the one that works for me:
    http://www.sallyhansen.com/products/nails/nail-care/triple-strong
    It's a thick, clear nail top coat. I apply three-four layers once a week, and it usually lasts all week with maybe a touchup now and then. Takes a long time to dry each layer, but once it's on, it holds up pretty well. A bit odd having one shinny nail though, but better than the acrylics I tried.