Picks or plectrums that sound like fingers/flesh?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by zerocharisma, Jan 13, 2009.

1. zerocharisma

zerocharisma Member

So I'm really digging the sound/tone I get with my fingers, particularly with my Strat into an old, beat up blonde, tube rectified Bassman--each note is rounder, fuller, smoother, bouncier, compressed, and just a bit more interesting overall. Now I've been working on my fingerstyle technique but was wondering if you guys/gals know of anyone who makes a pick that mimics the sound of fingers/flesh? It'd be icing on the cake if they didn't cost an arm or leg...

2. TheLemon

TheLemon Senior Member

Wow funny you mention that.

I was comparing some picks last night (A 1.14mm Purple Dunlop Tortex, Red Dunlop Jazz III, Plain GC Picks, and Skreddy Pick) and the one description I found the Jazz III to have out of all of them was that it sounded "the softest like my fingers".

3. Bryan T

Bryan T guitar owner Silver Supporting Member

The closest I've found for sounding like my fingers (I do use a bit of nail, but have a full/round sound) is the D'Andrea Pro Plec. They come in a half dozen shapes. They aren't great for strumming, but work really well for single note playing.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=d'andrea+pro&st=

Bryan

4. BoyWearingVans

BoyWearingVans Member

I hate the felt picks, they shred up and go all furry.

I remember playing with a rubberish pick shaped like a large 3mm big stubby.

can anyone help me out with this products name.

5. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Just learn how to play with your fingers, it's a better path in the long run.

6. BoyWearingVans

BoyWearingVans Member

agreed.

youtube some Derek Trucks w no slide. eeeeeeyikes.

7. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

I've taken to playing a lot of lead with my fingers, I just love the dynamic and tonal range that you can get.

8. Design Guy

Design Guy Member

9. jackrussel

jackrussel Member

I've been using dava picks for a while, and sometimes use the rubber grip if I have to play really soft. It dampens the vibrating strings much like your fingers. Works great, has anyone tried this?

10. Creepy Fingers

Creepy Fingers Member

Yo

If you can find a regular shaped Clayton pick in the super thickest gauge ( like the 1.9mm) it can sound a lot like fingers.

--Brad

11. zachhahn

zachhahn Member

might get lucky next time you order a bowl of chili at Wendy's.........

12. jfromel

jfromel Member

There is really nothing that sounds like fingers except well fingers. This is a funny and sad storey from back in the day when I worked at a music store in the 80's. There was this guy that was obsessed with Knopfler's tone, he had the Soldando amps, Pensa Shur guitars, all the same effects, everything, he had spent thousands chasing that tone. So he was in the store one day trying out some gear and playing some Knopfler riff that didn't sound like Knopfler. At the time I didn't know this guys back storey and was just trying to help. I asked him if I could see his pick..... I just put the pick in my pocket and showed him how to play that lick on some Ibanez RG thing through some cheap ass SS amp, I could see the light bulbs going off in his head when it sounded more like Dire Straights than he ever had.

I Put the guitar down, gave him back the pick and said, "I don't think Knopfler uses picks, neither does Lindsay Buckingham either."

13. jockman

jockman Member

V-Picks fattie range are very good for that type of tone.

14. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Hybrid Picking (aka "pick and fingers") might be worth investigating.

15. bobotwt

bobotwt Supporting Member

I sought that as well. The closest I've found are the black 2.0mm Dunlop Gator Grip. Very warm.

Josh