• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Picks that don't wear

ltsmash1200

I use Herco Flex 75s and I've never had one wear out on me...although I usually use the rounded edge, not the pointy side.

JimmyR

I used to use regular Dunlop grey nylon .88s and now use the extra grippy version .88 grey nylon. They don't wear unless I play an intense gig, where suddenly (and mysteriously) they do wear a straight line along one edge.

I have tried many picks over the years but the Dunlop grey 88s have stuck. I use the same one for ages. It's only extreme gigs that wear them out, and that is a small price to pay for so much fun.

I've been using a Dunlop Max-Grip Jazz III. They claim to be made of carbon fiber. All I know is that I took one out of the package in October '12 and am still using the same one. To be honest it does show some extremely slight wear, but at the rate it's going, I'd estimate it should be good until October '14 at least. Another thing to note is that when used acoustically, the sound of the Max-Grip is significantly warmer/softer attack than the Ultex Jazz III.

bobbradley

Tortious shell wears okay, but I prefer bald eagles beak, I'm on the waiting list for tiger pen.......uh Never mind.:p but anyhow I used a 3.5mm Wegan trimus for two years then one day realized I was flubbing notes and it occurred to me that it was worn out. To say the least it wore slow, I've got some blue chips and they wear slow as well,feel better than most and are not that expensive.all this said I try to hold the pick as lightly as possible and only hit the strings hard if I need to melt some faces ;)

Vpicks are are nice and come in a large variety of specs so that might he a good place to start.

stevewids

I buy Dunlop Ultex 1.14mm precisely because they don't wear as quickly (my old picks used to be shredded after a show) and because they aren't super expensive. I swear by them and they don't seem to have a huge effect on my strings.

Or I get Jazz IIIs and drill tiny holes into them to help me hang onto the smaller picks a little easier.

4nd3h

Yep! I should order a new box of them but the ones from last year just don't wear down...
I lose the them more often than I wear them down. So I bought like 30 bucks worth of picks to be done with it. I have a lifetime supply now.

OOG

been using the same Blue Chip TPR 60 on mandolin and a 50 on guitar for 4 or 5 years
still going strong

skern

I should clarify. I currently use V-Picks, I think they're about 2.5mm. A pick becomes noticeably worn out in a couple of weeks.

I use the SharkTooth Crossover thumb pick, and I super glue my own picks into the Velcro strap. Therefore, when the pick wears out, I have to use a new pick and new Velcro strap. I can't use another edge of the pick (they're symmetrical) because of the super glue residue. I also fine tune the strap with scissors. So, I'm just trying to avoid having to redo this process every 2 weeks.

I have already tried many, many picks and settled on the V-pick not because of it's durability, but playability/tone. I wouldn't start using another pick just because it doesn't wear out, if it affects playability/tone. The fact that it is occasionally used as a thumb pick means it has to be decently thick or else it moves around.

A pick will of course wear down eventually. But if I can get say, several months out of a BlueChip (and then there's stories of getting a year+), that'd be worth the hassle of doing this process every 2 weeks.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
yep, it's blue chip FTW! i hate, hate, when picks wear into that beveled edge; my blue chips last years before that begins to show.

the only thing that doesn't wear at all is a stone pick, but those eat strings for breakfast, leaving nice shiny zones over the pickups where all the string windings have been ground smooth.

(oh, and blue chip makes thumbpicks, too.)

Transmisser

just buy a load of the pics you like... they wear out... just something you'll need to live with.
+1

I spent a decent amount of time trying out different picks to see which ones lasted the longest, but I felt like I lost the sound I was looking for. Ultimately, I came full circle and now use the picks I started with: Standard Dunlop Tortex blues. I buy them in bulk for fairly cheap, they last around a month and they have a sound that I love. The closest I came to minimal wear were Ultex picks and while they lasted a bit longer, it was a totally different sound to my ears.

doublescale1

Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck
Gold Supporting Member
+3 for Dunlop Ultex - I also found that the Ultex not only lasts a real long time before the pick starts to show wear, at least to me, are the amongst the quietest across the strings, I find I don't get all that click'y sound on quiet passage songs.

Sifl

The Dunlop nylons .73 I use haven't shown much wear. But they aren't good for pick slides. They get pretty chewed up.

I can use a Tortex pick (.60) for a quite a bit.

Trotter

I've been using a Dunlop Max-Grip Jazz III. They claim to be made of carbon fiber. All I know is that I took one out of the package in October '12 and am still using the same one. To be honest it does show some extremely slight wear, but at the rate it's going, I'd estimate it should be good until October '14 at least. Another thing to note is that when used acoustically, the sound of the Max-Grip is significantly warmer/softer attack than the Ultex Jazz III.
agreed. they're probably the toughest pick I've ever used.

OilsFan

I've never used the same pick long enough to see it wear out. Kind of like I've never used a pencil all the way down. Maybe I should practice more. :hide2
Anyway, the Herco Flex 75 works great for me.

Pa'ani

Silver Supporting Member
For many years I have used the Dunlop .88 Black Gold and currently using several Blue Chip picks!

pennylink

Blue Chip wear the least of any pick I've ever tried, by a long way. Along with natural, chirp-free tone it's about as good as it gets, albeit at a price!

Trending Topics