Pickup 4 conductor wiring question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Telewanger, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Telewanger

Telewanger Member

If you split a 4 wire double coil to make it sound more like a single coil, what is the best way to wire it. My diagrams say parallel?

I want it to be a dual coil as it was intended, but I want to use another 2 or 3 way switch to also get the best single coil sound that I can out to it.

I have a bunch of wiring diagrams, but I wanted to hear some opinions.

2. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

Parallel.

Whenever you wire two coils together, the options are:

- in series, in phase (regular humbucker)

- in series, out of phase

- in parallel, in phase

- in parallel, out of phase

In parallel, in phase, which is the regular way, will give you the sound closest to actual split coil tone.

3. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

Well a parallel humbucking pickup isn't split. Both coils are on. But splitting a humbucker turns one coil off while leaving another on. This creates a single coil sound. Most humbuckers are wired in series. This gives the best signal-to-noise ratio. It also has more power and bass. But for a lighter and brighter tone some people like to be able to switch between series and parallel wiring. You can buy an on/on/on mini DPDT and wire your humbucking pickup to get all three options. You could have series/single coil/parallel from one switch.

[​IMG]

4. Telewanger

Telewanger Member

Thanks for your help!

I will see if I can find a diagram for it.

5. Telewanger

Telewanger Member

Thanks!

I have some of these switches. ( 2 and 3 way ) I will have to find a diagram for a Duncan pickup. I just order a Duncan Little 59, 4 conductor, and I wanted to have the diagram ready when it gets here.