Pickup add-on strip from the 90s

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by I Heart Guitar, Aug 19, 2013.

1. I Heart Guitar

I Heart Guitar Member

I just had a flashback to something I remember seeing in a guitar mag in about 91 (it could have been out earlier than that, but 91 is when I started buying guitar mags at age 12).

It was a strip of metal designed to be placed on top of a pickup to extend/focus/alter/ruin/enhance [circle all that apply] its magnetic field. It had sort of spike/diamond shapes where each pole piece would go.

I can't remember what it was called and I certainly haven't seen one in the wild. Does anyone remember this thing? Did anyone try it? What's the deal with that thing? Now that it's drifted back through my mind I can't go on living until I get to the bottom of this mystery.

2. awallace

awallace Member

I totally remember those... but what were they called... hmmm... I sill have boxes of old guitar mags in the basement... maybe I could dig in and find one of those ads. For some reason I want to say 'AdderPlus' but I don't think that's it.

3. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Seems like snake oil, really. I guarantee if it enhanced clarity that Leo would have done it (cause that was his thing). Should be easy to test out by drilling holes in a couple of metal plates (one ferrous and one non-ferrous) and seeing if it changes anything?

4. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  5. timhulio

timhulio Member

6. mcnabbanov

mcnabbanov Member

frederic knows bes!

7. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

I remember those! They were brass (?) strips that simply stuck to the pole pieces. I too want to say "Adder", but it's hazy - 'twas quite some time ago... :D

They aren't baseplates (added underneath the pickup) - those actually work... They take a regular Strat pickup and give it some Tele bottom end (Telecaster bridge pickups have them). The add-ons the OP talks about probably didn't work as well - or else we'd all have them :)

8. I Heart Guitar

I Heart Guitar Member

Yeah, 'Adder' is ringing a bell but Google doesn't seem to be throwing up anything useful. Might have to go on an eBay spree and buy up a bunch of those old Guitar Worlds for nostalgic/research purposes.

9. I Heart Guitar

I Heart Guitar Member

10. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

Would love to see how they'd interact with an Ebow... I predict rattly, humfuzzed mayhem.

...and scratched pickup covers.

....just a minute guys, time for my solo...gotta run to the micstand and slap on my Adder (tm)...

...do they make an Adder that won't mess with my tone?

11. awallace

awallace Member

Thanks for finding that... it was kind of driving me crazy and I really didn't want to dig out all my boxes of old magazines...

It's actually kind of demented that I remembered who made them... late 80's? early 90's?