• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Pickup advice?

overdriven07

I just bought an Ibanez JTK3 (http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-JTK30). It has Ibanez soap bar pickups, which are apparently supposed to be comparable to p90s. I'm thinking that I would like to upgrade the pups at some point. Any advice on good pickups to consider? I want kind of a vintage blues-rock sound (i.e. Hendrix, The Black Keys, etc.) Thanks!

thilton59

Well... in terms of what will fit in a soapbar route you'll be a bit limited. My thought would turn to:

TV Jones Pickups, he makes a variety of Gretsch style pickups in various mounts, including the soapbar.

Good P90s form lollar or Fralin.

curtis

Bareknuckles soapbars are very tasty, I love the higher output BKP92.
'just fitted some to a gretsch electromatic, sounded big, warm and toneful.

socalscott

Fralin has new noiseless(stacked) and maybe Kent Armstrong has re-released his noiseless, which are said to be very correct vintage tone. Armstrong's being affordable.

I'd say go for a custom wind. I did so for $40 per coil that had taps. I found that I really like the way under-wound taps sound. They are Strat spec., i.e. 4.3K and 5k. I also use alnico 2 & 5 bar mag combo on each pup. This brings more vintage over modern A5's only. Be sure to try 250k vol pot if you have 500k, much less harshness.
A good set could be Neck @ 6.75k and Bridge around 9k. There is balance between mine with the N @ 4.3 tap and B at 11k. Great Tele-ish combo tapped.

One good move is to install a treble bleed on the vol. pot.. It allows nice chime when you roll-off git volume. Way down to 2 or 3 with amp volume up...very Straty output.
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/110507&highlight=treble+bleed

Enjoy

Trending Topics