pickup advise for a strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by SFW, May 26, 2005.

1. SFW

SFW Member

Hey guys. I'm looking to replace the bridge pup in my strat. I'm looking to get a nice warm rock tone from the guitar, while still retaining that strat snap. I thought about the Fender hot noiseless pup, but I’m not sure about that option. What do you guys recommend?

2. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

Kinman Hx-85. Big, round, warm - and noiseless. Actually, I recommend a whole set - the Woodstock+ set, which has the Hx-85 in the bridge.

--chiba

3. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

i have 3 strats. i've got WCR SR's, kinman woodstocks, and lace sensors(blue-silver-gold) pickups in them. you should check out the kinman woodstock bridge if you want noiseless. the WCR's also sound very agressive but still strat-y and they're low noise but not completely noiseless like the kinmans. those would be my 2 recomendations. good luck.

4. SLG

SLG Member

If you are looking for noiseless strat pickups the Bill Lawrence 280's or 290's are a good choice. The 290's will give you a warmer tone and more output than a standard strat pickup. A good combination is a pair of 280's in the neck and middle with a 290 in the bridge posiition.

5. mischultz

mischultz Member

Lift with your legs, not your back.

Otherwise, I'd second the Bill Lawrence L290 suggestion: if the instrument itself sounds good, it'll sound great through Bill's stuff.

Michael

6. dzeitlin

dzeitlin Member

Check out the Rio Grande Muy Grande, it's close to P90 tone.

7. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

One of the hotter DiMarzios - Solo, VirtuAL 2, etc...

8. joek86

joek86 Supporting Member

+1 on the WCR SR's, they transformed my guitar from a $500.00 sounding into a $1500.00 sounding guitar!

9. LavaMan

LavaMan Gold Supporting Member

EMG 81 - this what I have in mine and I love it.

10. alderbody

alderbody Member

do yourself a favor and get a set of WCR SR's...

you'll be a happy man ever after :)

11. Bluzsteel

Bluzsteel Member

Fralin Blues Special with bass plate

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

while the Woodstocks are crazy good, i've been REALLY diggin' my Kinman Hank Marvins. big rounder tones, with a glossier sweetness than most other pickups. IMHO, chris should just market these.

13. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hello SFW,

Check out the EMG DG-20 pickup set. It's the Dave Gilmour (Pink Floyd) active pickup set that he uses onstage with Pink Floyd. You get all the nice Strat tones without the thinness & noise associated with passive single coil pickups.

The pickup set contains 3 SA active single coil pickup, a volume pot & two tone modules for EQ mounted on a pickguard. The EXG module emphasizes bass & treble and sounds really good for clean tones. The SPC module emphasizes midrange and is good when you're playing an overdriven lead to fatten the sound up. Very versatile tones can be achieved with the two tone modules.
    The low impedance signal works well with long guitar cords, effect pedals or signal processing. You can also plug it into a mixing board for clean tones or through a processor and into the mixing board.

Be sure to unplug the guitar when you're done playing. The active pickups run on a 9 volt battery. If you unplug when the guitar is not in use, the battery should last you about 6 months to a year. If you leave the cord plugged in, the battery will last you a month.

Here is a picture of my '84-87 Fender Japan Strat:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/GuitarGeorge/JapanStratfront.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/GuitarGeorge/MIJStratbodyfront.jpg

Guitar George