Pickup choice and setup

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by gabipe15, May 10, 2016.

1. gabipe15

gabipe15 Member

Hi there! I have an issue in both of my guitars, regarding the pickups.

The first one is in my Fender Standard MIM. On the high e string, whenever i bend in the higher frets, the sound stops, or loses volume. I guess could be the pickup height, or something like that?

The second, in my epiphone SG G400 Faded, with seymour duncan jazz pickup in the bridge position, i found it to be to trebly and to thin, even when the guitar is on the dark-sounding side. I thought the pickup should round the sound a bit, but maybe i did the wrong pickup choice...

2. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Supporting Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer
    Does that happen when you're not plugged in? Sounds like a setup/fret issue.

Have you tried to adjust the pickup? You can raise and lower both the entire pickup and just the individual pole pieces. Generally, the closer to the strings the more output and midrange emphasis, the further less output and more bass and treble, but those are generalizations.

3. gabipe15

gabipe15 Member

Actually i have to try this, but i don't think so. Anyway if that's the case, what should i do?

I'll try and come back with results! Thanks!

4. David Garner

David Garner Supporting Member

If it frets out when you aren't plugged in, you need to get a setup (or learn to do one yourself, though it's probably best to let a good tech do it until you get some practice in).

I agree with adjusting pickup height. Makes an enormous difference. Don't go more than a half to a full turn in either direction if you aren't liking the direction the tone is going. And remember how many turns you went up or down so you can get back to where it was easily.

milli vanilli and gabipe15 like this.
  5. milli vanilli

milli vanilli Member

Nothing more to really add, but in true TGP spirit I felt inclined to chime in. So. Alrighty then.

6. gabipe15

gabipe15 Member

Mi Stratocaster doesn't fret out when unplugged, and yet bends un the high e high up the frets quit sounding... What else could it be?

7. Mincer

Mincer Member

The Jazz is a very clean, clear, and open pickup. What kind of sound are you going for?

8. gabipe15

gabipe15 Member

Im trying to use a mid-gain blues rhythm tone, for triads and boogie rhythm, but without mud, that's why i went for the jazz.

9. Mincer

Mincer Member

Right, and I am guessing that is why it sounded thin. It is really clear, which is great for very clean. I think you may need something more balanced (or at least with some mids) for a good mid gain blues tone.

gabipe15 likes this.