• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Pickup choices for Flying V

skoora

What might be some good choices for pickups in my V (it's an '84). I popped a JB in it which I'm used to but honestly kind of tired of the sound. I had 57 classics in a LPC and thought they sounded very good. I used to (and still do a little) play a lot of heavier music (sabbath meets metallica type stuff) but I really dig the more open (less fizzy?) raw sound of lower output HB's. I love early 70's hard rock and late 70's metal. I've tried SD 59's (in my LPC) and thought they were too boomy. Not enough midrange presence.

What are some choices that aren't insanely expensive (less than $150?).

teleman1

Silver Supporting Member
What about one of the pickups being a Duncan Fat cat? Its a P90 in a humbucker size. I think Frailin makes one also, but I don't know the name.

gdomeier

Gold Supporting Member
I don't think you can go wrong with a Rio BBQ bucker. I have one in my Carvin V (all maple) and love it. It does all styles well, imho.

flyingvees

Gold Supporting Member
My favorite is the 57 classic set for a V. Seems to really give it a more round beefy sound that spikey and punchy...Just my choice

jeffwith1f

Well, the 67 RI's will come stock with 498/500T which are very very hot, and some people find fizzy and harsh.
Classic 57's may tone that down for you
if you want a more low output vintagy sound, look for a 70's erra Gibson T-Top pickup. that may be exactyl what you are looking for and I think you can find used examples for less than $150.

Mortebpmb

The SD '59 will sound different in a Flying V compared to an LP so if you still have it, try.

My favourites in the aforementioned order
- Gibson '57 Classic
- Gibson '80 PAF
- SD Antiquity
- Axesrus P94
- SD '59

There's also the Michael Schenker signature pu's but who the manufacturer is or at what price I don't know. But they sound awesome!

jimlp

The SD '59 will sound different in a Flying V compared to an LP so if you still have it, try.

My favourites in the aforementioned order
- Gibson '57 Classic
- Gibson '80 PAF
- SD Antiquity
- Axesrus P94
- SD '59

There's also the Michael Schenker signature pu's but who the manufacturer is or at what price I don't know. But they sound awesome!

The Schenker pickups are made by Dimarzio.

joolzriff

i realy like my 500t but that could be a combo of ebony board and amplifier as well all matching..
otherwise for rock i find a seymour duncan custom custom suits the bill super well,very organic but rocking also....matches ebony boards a bit better.
i find dimazios a little more midrange sounding if thats your thing.

echale3

I stuck a set of GFS Mean 90s in mine, it sounds great to me--really raw and dynamic, with lots of string definition... Very different than the 496R/500T set that was in it....

Iceman77

I've been using using several of Bryans pups lately and they have all been top shelf.
Right now I'm testing his Hellabucker, A5 mags, double slug, 17k, and it is a rocking mofo.

that's the next one I think I'll get - you know that, though, I've been saying it for months at the other place

:BEER KickF...

GrecoVee

I really like Duncan's in my Jap made V copys.
If you don't like an old JB model (I think that older one's sound way better than newer ones)
Try a Duncan C5 (Custom 5), any guitar I've owned that didn't sound good with an older JB model sounded great with a C5.

Trending Topics