Pickup Combo for Semi-Hollow Telecaster

Hey all, I'm working on upgrading a semi-hollow telecaster that some friends built from parts and looking for some pickup advice, I have a humbucker in the neck and single coil in the bridge and play mostly heavy blues through fender amps, though in some projects I lean towards a clean country tone. I'm almost always playing chords, sometime downtuned and through an overdrive and analog delay. I often find things become too boomy and muddy when pushing the amp so I'm looking for a humbucker that will get me more clarity without losing the low-end. With the bridge single coil I'm looking for a slightly "darker" than typical tone, I find my highs to be too shrill when pushing the amp and can't dial it out without the mud. Currently I'm leaning towards Either and lollar el-rayo or low-wind imperial in the neck and lollar Special T in the bridge. I'm also interested in the Fralin Split-blades for the bridge but haven't come up with a lot of testimonials for how they sound with humbuckers in the neck. Looking for anyone who has tried any of those combos or could suggest something else that might get me closer

Dumdeediddle

Got a very nice Warmoth 72 Thinline I built. I had a Imperial in the neck for a while. But I put in a set of Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers to try. They sound great and they are staying in this guitar.

Chris Pile

Fender Noiseless Tele pickups are great (made by Lace), and then there's the old reliable Bill Lawrence Tele in the bridge and a Lawrence humbucker in the neck. Very high fidelity from either choice.

Mincer

I like a Seth Lover neck and a Jerry Donahue bridge to get the sounds you are after. The Seth in the neck of a Tele is beautiful- clean or overdriven.

Thanks for your replies! I've been doing some additional research as well and think now I'm leaning towards the Seth Lovers. I've heard great things about the Jerry Donahue bridge pickups also, I'm wondering if I got the humbucker and stay with my 3 way switch will hum from the JD be an issue? I should've mentioned I almost always play through a compression pedal with a timmy overdrive so I've been playing in the middle position to get a more balance tone and help bury with the extra hum the compression/od brings out. It's not overwhelming necesarily but are there any hum canceling bridge single coils that get close to that JD tone? The SD vintage stack? Fralin Split Blades? Thanks again

Trending Topics