Pickup Comparison: LP Special vs. LP Jr.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by goodtone, Mar 5, 2006.

1. goodtone

goodtone Member

For those in the know has anyone had experience with a Custom Shop LP Special and a Custom Shop LP Junior ? I'd like to know how close a Specials rear pickup sounds compared to the juniors single pickup in the overdrive dept. Thanks

2. HHB

HHB Member

this is the rub for me, the special seems cooler but the single dogear in the Jr just rules the earth for OD tones, the soapbar cannot keep up in my experience, and I've A/Bed 50's guitars in this very search, the dogear crushed the soapbar to my ear 100% of the time, I'm thinking of a new custom w/ a dogear bridge and a soapbar neck pup, this would be perfect IMO. I gig my 58 Jr all night, I don't miss the neck pickup at all and I'm a strat neck pup guy at heart, the Jr is unstoppable LOL

3. Junebug

Junebug Member

I've got an 04 R0 Special and an 05 R7 Junior. To my ears the Jr. has a much more raw, dirty growl than the Special. I was surprised at how different they sound and curious as to why since the differences in the two models don't seem so dramatic.

4. sears

sears Member

I think single-pickup guitars, like the Junior, Esquire, P-bass and Malcolm Young Gretsch sound best. It's the lack of the other pickup that I like.

5. supa_scoopa

supa_scoopa Member

Here's a P90 question, can I make a dogear fit where a soapbar once was?

6. Luke V

Luke V Member

As far as I know, the cover is the only difference. So it is mounted differently.

7. supa_scoopa

supa_scoopa Member

yeah but there are holes through the pickup for soapbar mounting, do these holes exist under the cover on dogears???

are you really from Toledo too?

8. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

I can give you an opinion in vintage context. I'm lucky enough to have a double cut special from 1960 and 1/2 ownership of a single cut 56 junior, both utterly sterling examples. The key issues to my perception are the way the pickups are mounted, and then the single pickup issue, and of course the bridge.

When you have one pickup, it's surprisingly liberating in that you can e.q. your rig with more bass and to a degree mids, since you don't have a neck pickup to switch to, and go all woofy. There may be something to the lack of a neck pickup reducing magnetic load on the string, but I'm not going to opine on that, or lets say I'm a little skeptical on that.

The mounting scheme for a Special versus dog-ear is way different. The special has resilient neoprene or similar and two screws through the bobbin, which has one sort of coupling relationship to the lumber. The dog ear, is held down by the ears, and larger base plate, and is more fixed, less adjustable and IMHO more significantly mass coupled to the lumber. The neck angle on a junior totally influences the tone, since it determines the height of the coil, case closed.

But a huge thing that should not be ignored with these sorts of instruments is the wrap-around stud tailpiece. It is crucial, and the tuneamatic with stop as a substitute on later specials, is a significant sonic influence, the added length of string changing tension at a given pitch and there is a signature timbre etc. of each style of bridge layout. IMHO the crazy juice and snarl of a Junior, is greatly attributable to the stop tail. I dig the stop and dog ear. But I dig the tunematic thing on it's own terms too. I'm crazy about Gibsons generally. But you do have to listen and pick em.