Pickup comparisons for everyone...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by papersoul, Sep 30, 2005.

1. papersoul

papersoul Supporting Member

2. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Silver Supporting Member

unfortunately it shows how you cant go by clips.......they all sound soooo damn close.....gotta say the darkbursts and the fillmors had a little something special though.

3. papersoul

That is what I was hoping someone would say....you never know how the person recorded...did they change their pick attack, use a different setting and some things don't come across well in an MP3 clip. The Fillmore sounds muddy in this clip but it is FAR from muddy. It is thickand clear.

4. Stephen Davis

Stephen Davis Supporting Member

Hmmm, no Holmes? I swear by the pair I have.

Rabbit

5. xroads

xroads Member

Actually, I read the review article that is based on this comparison. The author describes significant differences in the sound coming from the different PUs. In the recording you cannot hear this at all.

This made me wonder whether the recording was simply bad, or the author doesn't know what he is talking about....

6. darkbluemurder

darkbluemurder Member

I absolutely agree - I couldn't hear much of a difference either. I have tried several of the pickups tested and know they sound vastly different. So it must either be that the amp used has too much character so as to cover up the pickups' characters, the sounds were not recorded well enough or it just goes to show that still the bulk of tone comes from the player ...

7. darkbluemurder

darkbluemurder Member

I would also have liked to see those tested but they are probably too rare by now. They should also have tested Voodoo's 59 and 60, Wolfetone Greyhounds and the Lollar Imperials to give a complete picture.

8. Stephen Davis

Too rare, why? Tom still makes the pickups for whoever wants them. I just bought a Japanese copy of a 58 Paul by Custom Craft Guitars called a Momose. It is built in Japan for Tom's pickups. But, they sent one to Tom to have him approve the work. He put his pickups in it and had a luthier friend of mine put it in his shop for sale. So, I sold my 1275 and bought the guitar. The pickups are incredible, not to mention the guitar. All that to say that you can still get the pickups.

Rabbit

9. darkbluemurder

darkbluemurder Member

That is certainly good to hear for many folks. I heard that you had to wait for 6 or more months to buy a set from Tom Holmes, and the last set of Tom Holmes humbuckers I saw on the German eBay fetched EUR 525 used - quite a lot of money.

10. Stephen Davis

Well, there is still a wait for Holmes pickups, but, I don't know how long. They are $280 a piece new. But, you won't have to look for another set of pickups if you want the vintage PAF thing. I am completely impressed.

Rabbit

11. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

it is simply not dead to wars! The speech is of the first and at the same time allegedly most ingenious Humbucker creation from the house Gibson. The "PAF" Pickup unfortunately coined/shaped on a phonetically daemlichen name is not to be paid as original today no more. It is to sound nevertheless so incomparably tender and cremig that it borders already almost on a miracle. Numerous manufacturers koecheln since that time with alchemistischer meticulousness after the Humbucker world formula and charms more or less good copies from the hat and none of those obviously seems it to in addition wars so correctly. Or perhaps nevertheless? ... The participant field consists of altogether 19 of PAF clone of different manufacturers. Among them established sizes do not only find such as Gibson, Seymour Duncan or DiMarzio, but also partly exotic fashion shop products of smaller manufacturers such as Jim wagner, Andreas Kloppmann or Boris cathedral-mix. One tested in an select Gibson Historic Collection Les Paul Standard 1959, which was equipped with original 1959er Spraque Bumblebee foil condensers. This instrument was unbelievably important for the test, because as previously mentioned, one comes the PAF clay/tone only in connection with the correct wood (primary clay/tone) on the trace. A Seymour Duncan Antiquity e.g. would sound still completely good to the cheap Far East in a Les Paul copy, its actual potential completely however never reveals...

12. papersoul

Thanks, do you have the rest of the translation?

13. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

Rest? What did I miss?

All I did was a simple google search for german to english translation, then copied and pasted the text.
    Try it with whatever I must have missed

HJ

14. papersoul

Oh, sorry. I thought maybe they had a translation of the entire article.

15. ABKB

ABKB Member

Would have been nice to see some High Order pups in there. I have a couple I am eagerly waiting for. January cant come fast enough!

16. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

17. brianf

brianf Member

Hah. I remember this article. It a couple of years old. I translated it for Jim and he surprized me with a set of Fillmores as a gift.

The article was writen kind of weird. The guy that wrote it must have been one of those professor type gear freaks that never comes out of his basement.;)

He did love Wag's pups though.

brianf

18. Seegs

Seegs Member

don't go by the online translation programs when doing a complete text as what comes out is gibberish...all they can handle is single words with any accuracy...

Chow,
    Seegs

19. brianf

brianf Member

Hi Seegs;

Where are you from? I was born in Wuppertal. came to Canada in 1962.

brianf

20. Seegs

Seegs Member

Hi Brian,

born in Chicago and raised in Milwaukee, WI...I came to the Frankfurt area in 1991...

Chow,
    Seegs