1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Pickup Cutting out? Cause? Pickup Expert?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Johnnythunders, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Johnnythunders

Johnnythunders Member

Ok this is a weird one that I'm trying to figure out. It's going to take some time.

After playing for around 15-20 minutes guitar cuts out and shudders and come back with alot of distortion. Doesn't happen all of the time. Happened 2 out of the last three times I've played.

Ok I changed guitars and it didn't happen last night so I'm thinking maybe it's the guitar. Checked the wiring looks ok.

My question is can a guitar pickup have a short in the windings that could cause this or is it an all or nothing sort of thing. Could it be a pot?

I'm going to try the guitar with another amp and cable to see if it happens.

Any insight?

2. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

More than likely a bad connection or short at the switch, pot, or output jack. The problem is the part about distortion, if a pickup or connections are partially shorted it just lets a small amount of signal through, but not distorted. Are you sure you don't have an amp problem?

3. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

See if there are any loose strands from the shield on the cable end at you pots.
    It sounds like an intermittent short there.

I know it's frustrating.

4. Norcal_GIT_r

Norcal_GIT_r Member

Check your grounds and switch.

5. jeffwith1f

jeffwith1f Member

sounds like a switch problem to me, but if there is an issue, and you're not the sodering iron sorta guy you need to be to address this, just get thee to a luthier/ repair shop.

6. geetarman

geetarman Member

Sounds like a switch problem to me too. What kind of guitar is it? Does it do it in all switch positions?

7. cdodson9983

cdodson9983 Member