Pickup experts: from dogear to soapbar?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Pedro58, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Pedro58

Pedro58 Supporting Member

How hard is it to change a dogear P90 to a soapbar? What is involved and what parts would I need to buy?

2. NunleyCustom

NunleyCustom Member

A dogear has a mounting tab similar to a humbucker. You can remove that tab with a cutting wheel on a dremel tool or with a hacksaw. You can then use a soapbar cover and mount it with the two longer screws through the pickup and into the body. You'd need a soapbar cover and the mounting screws. If you're dealing with an existing guitar that had dogears and you're making a conversion, beware that it will be routed for the tabs which will be visible when you re-mount the pickup as a soapbar. I've made the conversion and I'm a pickup winder, you said expert, I didn't.

3. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Supporting Member

You can also buy a soapbar bottom plate and swap them out. Some have reported problems getting the correct plate that will fit right, though, depending on what brand pickup you have.

Al

4. Pedro58

Pedro58 Supporting Member

Thanks, fellas! That's what I needed.

5. zombiwoof

Forgot to mention that you would also have to buy the soapbar covers!

Al

6. Bob V

Bob V Member

Not to be sarcastic (well, okay, to be sarcastic) but what part you need to buy is a soapbar, and sell the dogear. The point being that you'd be destroying the value of the dogear and you can probably make a good deal on what you have.

7. zombiwoof

Not necessarily, I'm pretty sure that on the SG Classics, the bottom plate of the dogear pickup is also flipped upside down from normal, to give enough adjustment, in which case you still have to do some work even on the dogear one.

Al