Pickup for a Resonator Guitar

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by teleman55, Jan 3, 2008.

1. teleman55

teleman55 Member

Any suggestions for a resonator guitar pickup? Mine's not all steel, it's wood with the metal resonator. I got a Dean Markley stick-on one from my mandolin but i figure something made for the job would be better. I've seen there's a lace magnetic one, and a fishman that goes inside. Plus, it's gotta work on a left handed guitar. Any suggestions??? Thanks in advance.

2. trazan

trazan Member

Do you want to make it an "electric" resonator guitar? Or do you want to amplify its acoustic qualities? If you want an acoustic sound you may try something like the Schertler Basik. A magnetic pickup under the strings will be very different, and will not sound very acoustic.

3. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

+1 on the Nationalstick on. Through a tube amp it starts to sound more magnetic, but through a PA with a little EQ it sounds very natural to my ears. Regardless of how you want to characterize it, the pickup sounds very musical. I tried out the vast majority of pickups for resos and couldn't be happier.

4. drolling

drolling Member

You'd think so normally, but I've been blown away by the tones I'm getting from the Lace mag p-up that others have recommended..

It's just microphonic enough to pick up those gorgeous overtones that resos are known & loved for, but not so sensitive as to feedback like crazy at stage volumes. I'm using one with a steel-bodied bisqiut-bridge Delphi (Duolian/Triolian), but I'm sure it'd work w/a wooden spider-bridge'd reso just as well.

I've messed around w/other systems that require routing, drilling, gluing, on-board electronics & power supplies. You'll be up & sliding w/this pickup in seconds!!

5. jbgordon

jbgordon Member

I would say +1 on the Schertler as well.

6. sonhenry

sonhenry Member

I've got a highlander in mine, it's pricey but it sounds like the guitar and it's pretty indestructible. And it'll work left or right handed, but you'll need to replace the biscuit.

7. royd

royd Member

8. soulmap

soulmap Member

another vote for the National/Lace magnetic pickup.

http://lacemusic.com/acoustic_pickups/ultra_slim/usa_specs.php

i believe the National is the same as the Lace (made by Lace) with different graphics.
    I put the National pickup (the Lace Ultra Slim Lace wasn't yet available) on an old Duolian and loved it.
    I later put the Lace Ultra Slim on relatively cheap 90's Dobro, again with great results.
    Yeah, its a magnetic, "electric' pickup, and it's seems a bit bassy, but it definitely retains the resonators character and with a bit of EQ - it's sounds great.
    I have a McIntyre still in the Dobro but it remains unused - not a bad sounding pickup, just not enough gain for my use. If I am playing that quietly, I'd rather just use a mic.

9. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

just remember to turn the magnetic around so the strongest magnet is under the G string where it belongs.

10. teleman55

teleman55 Member

Yeah, that's what the guy at Lace said, they're biased for the strings so flip it for lefty. I'm thinking their ultra thin. Was thinking the single coil (gotta do that---Teleman55=single coil;)), but looks like it won't fit. The other alternative seems to be the transducer that sits on the cone.

11. soulmap

soulmap Member

yeah, I tried the single coil after measuring and thinking I could get away with it - but no, too tall - if the strings can't vibrate the pickup don't do much good :)

12. Dave Klausner

Dave Klausner Member

I have a Highlander in mine. I had a friend make me a new biscuit out of solid rosewood to mount it in. Not inexpensive, and a bunch of work, but I'm really happy with the sound.