Pickup Gurus, help me out with this rare old one.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by V-man, Dec 26, 2009.

1. V-man

V-man Supporting Member

This afternoon, I made a fascinating discovery in my old Rickenbacker 4001 I had sequestered in my parent's basement when I returned home and looked at the parts. The pickup was an aftermarket replacement from the previous owner, which I vaguely remembered. Having access to both the dismantled instrument AND the internet for the first time, I have come to discover that this is not a Bass pickup at all, but rather a humbucker for 6-string guitars.

The humbucker is black and is stamped with a spartan Hi-A on the face, with no other markings anywhere else on the pickup. After searching the internet I discovered that Bartolini made pickups under the Hi-A name from 1973 to 1977, where they subsequently discontinued the name. The Rickenbacker is a 1975 model, so I suspect the replacement happened between 1975 and 1977 although it is possible it could have happened anytime after that until I picked the guitar up.

That said, I am curious to know about this pickup. Since it has no stampings whatsoever, I can only assume its nature. It is identically shaped to a guitar humbucker, the obvious choice being the 1-C... their first humbucker that debuted in 1975. Does anybody know for certain what this actually is? Also I am curious to know what they sound like from those with experience. Finally, does anybody have a clue about the value of these? I imagine there has to be some value associated with it seeing how there was a 2 year time window of manufacture and Bartolini is still making pickups. Any input you have on the pickup would be appreciated. Here is a picture:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I have since removed the decayed foam strip which revealed an unmarked brass strip beneath it.

2. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

3. kimock

kimock Member

I remember those, I had one for a while back then.
    I don't really remember exactly what it sounded like beyond loud, clear and accurate compared to the regular Gibson and Fender stuff.
    Cool pickup, would love to hear one again.

4. Brett Faust

Brett Faust Member

Contact Bartolini for more info. They are wonderful people and could probably identify it. I believe some pickups were made with bass poles in a HB housing ,so it may not be a 6 string pickup at all.

5. jefesq

jefesq Gold Supporting Member