Pickup Height, such a mystery

TA22GT

I'm not going to go in to specs, as it differs with each guitar and pickup combination, but pickup height and pole-piece setting can totally transform the sound of a guitar.

I spend time adjusting with a clean amp and perhaps over a few days. The test for me is when I have been adjusting the height and leave it overnight and when I plug in the next day it just "sounds right".
String balance is critical to the sound of chords and when playing with overdrive. I tend to play humbuckers mainly and raise the D pole-piece and lower the B pole-piece but not every time!

Wag

That formula is widely applied to Tele's.
You will never convince those who prefer something else that this setup is better.
I don't believe it was meant to be a one-size-fits-all solution but rather an effective starting point. It provides that "baseline" for those of us that have little experience dialing in pups so you're not just shooting blind. You notice that he did say "as a general rule...." and explained how adjusting the height effects the output.

Chad

For humbuckers, I start around 3.5/32" bridge bass side and 3/32" bridge treble side. For neck pickup: 4/32" bass side and 3/32" treble side. With last fret pressed down. This is usually very close. I might make very slight adjustments from there.

Trending Topics