PICKUP HELP

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by KennyPatrick, Mar 16, 2015.

1. KennyPatrick

KennyPatrick Supporting Member

I have a 1995 Fender Deluxe Strat. HSS. I am replacing the pickups.

I have 2 Anderson single coils for the middle and neck, and NEED help with the bridge. I want a good Humbucker that has a wonderful/true single coil sound when split, not a thinner sound like most humbuckers. A real single coil sound.

The Lindy Fralin Unbucker is what I think I want. I don't like the Seymour Duncan P-Rails.

I am seeking for the amazing knowledge and wisdom of TGP.

And because I know you guys. Here is a pic of it the way it is.
    [​IMG]

2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

The SD Stag-Mag isn't bad for this.

3. Carl_Tone

Carl_Tone Member

I like the way all my humbuckers split....last time I heard one that was anemic and thin it was in an ancient gibson. The Alnico 2 pro is in my strat. The pearly gates is in my tele, stormy mondays in my 335, and seth lovers in my hamer artist. Also the duncan jazz splits well in the neck of the tele.

My pickups are usually referred by a very experienced luth / tech....this might save you a bunch of swapping.

4. cugel

cugel Member

you will not likely get a real single coil strat sound out of a tapped bucker. it wont sound like a vintage strat imho. my advice is to look into companies that make a living selling hss guitars ie suhr and tyler. use what they use. a plain paf type sounds weak split in my hands. i finally settled on a suhr dsv and am pretty happy but suffer a noticeable volume loss when split. i still need to rewire according to the suhr diagram and i am going to try variable splitting ie running the split through a pot aka dial a tap

5. Dr. Lo

Dr. Lo Supporting Member

The Unbucker is certainly an option. A similar one would be the DiMarzio Bluesbucker. Another option would be the Duncan JB, which is lauded for its split tone, but is higher output than the other two when in humbucking mode. If you want more of a PAF (vintage) sound when in hubucking mode, the first two would be a better choice.

P.S. The Stag Mag has a bad rep for its humbucking sound.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  6. KennyPatrick

Thanks so far guys. I am leaning to the unbucker still.

7. dazco

dazco Member

I love my super distortion split. One thing you must realize is a humbucker with low to mid output will usually not split well, especially PAF output. Because when split a 9k PAF is now a 4.5k single coild which is not only very low even for a single coil. but with ceramic bar mag and slugs or screws for poles, it's even weaker. Thats why many sound so weak. The SD is a 14k pickup that manages NOT to seem too yet has plentoly of output and because the coils are 7k when used seperately they have enough output to sound good. I actually like mine split in my HSS strat better than a strat pickup in the bridge, and it truly captures real single coil tone. It makes my strat super versatile too. A lot of people in the past have cited anderson H2's and similar as being great split, and i have one and it IS good. But i swear i feel the SD is better. The original aftermarket pickup and still IMO the best.

8. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Call Anderson and ask what does it, I think his stuff splits REALLY well.

Or I'd call Wolfetone and have Wolfe wind me something custom.

I also like how Duncan Alnico 2 Splits..but it's darker in bucker mode.
    Splitting is always a compromise IMO.

9. phazersonstun

phazersonstun Member

Have you considered using a parallel option instead of splitting the bucker?
    Much better output than split and still no hum.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  10. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

What I found was that it doesn't pair well with more vintage sounding humbuckers. I tried it with a Jazz, Seth Lover and a '59. Basically, it's too hot for them and would overwhelm them when used together. This would be less of an issue on a HSS guitar where you would either use it as an HB by itself or split with or without another pickup AND if you wanted more modern (80's and beyond) HB tones. I don't have mine installed right now but I'm holding onto it should I ever obtain a HSS Strat-oid.

11. KennyPatrick

Thank you all. We decided the Anderson H2 will be the pickup. If it is not great for the split, then a series parrallel split will be done and if not, the the dimarzio bluesbucker we will try.

Thanks again.