Pickup help

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by duanesworld, Sep 9, 2008.

1. duanesworld

duanesworld Member

Hi, I just got a set of bareknuckle pg blues. I took them to my guitar tech. he put them in a ibanez as50. I am sure that was fun. Anyway when I went to try them, the bridge sounded great, the neck was thin and very low volume. He disconnected the pickup from the pot and wired it directly and tried it and he said it sounded the same. Anybody have any thoughts? Does it just sound like a bad pickup? thanks,mike

2. jaydawg76

jaydawg76 Supporting Member

Out of phase maybe? Did he try reversing the hot and ground lead on the weak sounding pup?

3. duanesworld

duanesworld Member

well he said he just wired the pickup straight to a jack and plugged it into an amp and it was still weak.

4. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

If he wired it directly to the jack and it still sounded like crap, it could very well be a problem with the pickup. Contact the maker, see what they have to say.

--chiba

5. duanesworld

duanesworld Member

does it sound weird that it is still getting proper ohm reading? sucks it has to happen puttin them in a hollowbody.

6. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

your "tech" can't figure out what the problem is? sorry, but you might need a new tech.

7. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

Should take about 30 seconds to figure it out with a DVM.

8. duanesworld

duanesworld Member

ok, maybe I should say that he can't fix it. because it appears to be a bad pickup. can you fix the pickup or do you have something constructive to add? thanks for the help.

9. duanesworld

duanesworld Member

it reads fine on the dvm. 7.2 which is where it should be. we bypassed the pot, wired it to a jack and it still sound weak and thin. just a bad pickup.

10. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

If you mean 7.2k then that is with in the range of a lower output HB but that would mean a cleaner sounding pickup not a weak and thin sound. Check to see if the inside (start) wires are wired together and the outside wires are used for ground and hot. You could also use the outside wires tied together and the inside wires for hot and ground.

11. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

One other thing but it's rare, uncharged magnet. You probably don't have a gauss meter but at least check the pull with a screwdriver and compare to the other.

12. duanesworld

duanesworld Member

well When you compare it to the bridge pickup the sound of the neck pickup is minimal and thin.I know its a low output pickupon the meter, but the sound is no where what it should be.