Pickup like a Dimarzio Bluesbucker with alnico slugs instead of screws?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by therhodeo, Jul 10, 2019.

1. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Looking for something like my bluesbucker but with more of a stratty sound. Please nothing crazy expensive and no pickups with opposing split coils like a WRHB.

2. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

3. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

4. Tonebender

Tonebender Supporting Member

sedawkgrep and therhodeo like this.
  5. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

I know he makes a pickup where the slug side is wound hotter but they're standard humbucker slugs.

6. Tonebender

Tonebender Supporting Member

Its called the Telebucker 5

- Alnico 5 rods in place of screws and an Alnico 3 powered slug side.

7. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Very cool thank you.

8. c_mac

c_mac Member

Seymour Duncan makes the StagMag. I think that’s the name of it anyway. It’s a humbucker with alnico slugs for the pole pieces.

Mincer and therhodeo like this.
  9. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Looking at it though it looks basically like 2 full blown strat coils side by side where as the bluesbucker and the telebucker are only made so that it's one coil doing the work and to me the single sound has more to do with the amount of string sensed than the other stuff. My bluesbucker sounds like a single, just a p-90. I'm looking for similar but more fendery. Also in the neck two rows of alnico magnets make me worry about string pull.

Mincer likes this.
  10. sedawkgrep

sedawkgrep Supporting Member

Zhangbucker. David is awesome and really friendly.

therhodeo likes this.
  11. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Member

Unfortunately the series tone of the StagMag is not as smooth as a standard humbucker; this is understandable and only to be expected given the design.

But humbuckers with a bar mag underneath plus alnico rods in the slug coil are a very good compromise. I have a number of Zhangbuckers and they're fantastic; I'd recommend David unconditionally.

The original 1980s PRS humbuckers were made this way too. The inside-coils combination using the two slug coils is amazingly Stratlike and fully humbucking. (In those guitars one pickup was reverse polarity relative to the other.)

therhodeo and Sam Sherry like this.
  12. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Supporting Member

There really isn't a whole lot out there. The Stag-Mag would seem to be "it" but it's too hot of a pickup in series. I pretty much make my own "blues-buckers" by yanking half the polepieces in a stock double-slug coil humbucker, or removing the screws from one coil. It certainly isn't "Stratty", but does brighten up the sound and move the pickup towards a single coil sound a bit.

therhodeo likes this.
  13. Madguitrst

Madguitrst Member

third stone from the sun, one step from the edge
    Since you have it, why not wire it in parallel? Also, while not having slugs, have you ever tried a DiMarzio Humbucker From Hell?

14. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

I love my bluesbucker full on and in split mode. This is for a different guitar where I want more of a fender tonality than the bluesbucker has. The Humbucker from hell is a very bright humbucker but not stratty from what I've heard.

15. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Member

The original PRS "T&B" humbuckers are expensive collectibles now. But PRS made some reissues of their early humbuckers, called the "1985" set. I put those in a '95 Ce22 and now it sounds almost exactly like the PRS Standard that's been my favorite since I bought it new in '87. The tone variance I can hear, I ascribe to the wood of the two guitars being different.

Great humbuckers if you can find them. Quite a bit of extra snap and chime even in series mode. The bridge is hot enough to push an amp without being the least bit soggy, and the neck is particularly sweet - definitely approaches that magical Strat neck tone.

Both my guitars with these use the old style 5-way rotary; for true splitting I'd recommend the DGT-type wiring with resistors in the shunt to ground. Leaves more body in the split tone, and also preserves some noise rejection.