1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Pickup Lines

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Catmouth, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Catmouth

Catmouth Member

If this is the wrong place to post this, let me know and I'll delete and move it.

I have a Jimmy Page Les Paul that love. I however hate the pickups in it. The 490 and 500 I think, the factory Gibson ones. Its not a piece of furniture, I have played it out and I can't ever see me getting rid of it as my wife gave it to me years ago. Plus Jimmy Page is a God among men.
    I would however like it to sound much better. Anyone have any suggestons on changing cap/resistor values? Or any other non evasive changes?
    I am on the fence about replacing all the electronics and just storing them. I want to keep the JP style switching, I would love to have more usable tones.

Anyone have any helpful ideas, besides buy another one and gut it? :D

2. Bob V

Bob V Member

If you decide on swapping pickups, make sure they're wired with four-conductor wire since you'll need it for the coil shunt and phase options on all those push-pull pots. Some models don't come that way.

3. Catmouth

Catmouth Member

Already planning on it Bob V. :) No other opinions?