Pickup: Martin 000-28EC

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by makethemost, Aug 29, 2008.

1. makethemost

makethemost Member

I've had a Marin 000-28EC for about a year now, and the idea of installing a pickup has been growing in my mind. I don't quite dig that microphone sound when I'm playing somewhere that doesn't have quality microphones. I think I'd rather have something like a DI box, with a pickup installed. Plus, would it be a good idea for recording? That being said, I'm the first to admit that I am completely new to the world of electronics.

Would a pickup be worth it? What kind of special installation would be needed? I've been looking into the Fishman Matrix Infinity. Any complaints? Just looking for some advice.

2. JoeYello

JoeYello Member

I am very interested in this as well......for an HD-28....

3. PunkyBub

PunkyBub Member

I'm a big fan of K&K pickups for acoustics. I have them in a lot of my guitars and they're the only pickup I'll use for gigging.

The K&K Pure Western Mini is probably the best - fits pretty much all guitars and has enough output to use without a preamp in some circumstances. They are 3 small (nickle-sized) flat transducers that superglue to the inside of the guitar under the saddle on the bridgeplate. Big bonus IMHO is that you don't have to put anything under the saddle to mess with the tone.

They even have an option to use a regular-sized endpin jack (w/special cable included) so you don't have to ream out the endpin for the standard sized jack - just the ticket if you don't want to modify your guitar.

Above all though, these things sound great. They are more acoustic-sounding to my ears than any other pickup, and way better than any undersaddle pickup I've heard. There's a bump in the midrange, but it's easily dealt with using light eq. Feedback isn't bad, though you'd need a feedback buster (rubber soundhole plug) if you play at volume to be safe.

K&K also has a little preamp (Pure Preamp - little box w/volume, Treb/Mid/Bass and Gain) for pretty cheap that sounds excellent. Not as much control over your tone as with say, a ParaDI but noticeably more transparent to my ears.

If all that weren't enough - you can get the pickup and preamp very reasonably if you look around. You *don't* have to spend $450 to get a good acoustic pickup/preamp!

YMMV, etc.
    I have no stake in K&K - just a HUGE fan...!:munch

4. go7

go7 Member

PunkyBub; Thanks for the input,I`m in the same boat.

5. devilrob1979

devilrob1979 Member

6. asintoras

asintoras Member

I have LRBaggs IBeam passive pickups in my steel acoustic (81' Ibanez V300) and my classical Alhambra 5p, both working with my LRBaggs ParaDI acoustic preamp through a PA system.

I've had great results with them, and the installation is easy and non destructive (just one hole in the pin strap). They really capture the natural sound of my guitars.
    I would highly recommend them.

7. g-nem

g-nem Member

I just put a K&K pure western mini in my small body yamaha and it sounds great. I did have to have the endpin hole enlarged for the jack, but it was $15 at my local store for that. I have a godin with the ibeam, and think the undersaddle sounds awful but the contact mic sounds really good.

If you are going to be playing with a band, though, an undersadde will get you more volume without feedback, albeit with a less acoustic tone.

8. guitarsam

guitarsam Member

I put a K&K pure western mini in my Santa Cruz VJ (slope shoulder dreadnought) and I am very happy with it. They give you everything you need to install it and you can even call and get help on the phone. I have been very pleased with the sound. I use mine with the sumit audio tube direct box. It sounds warm and articulate. Beautiful.