pickup question: more Tele

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rorschah, Jun 7, 2005.

1. rorschah

rorschah Member

I've got a '97 MIM Tele that, after getting y'alls advice and comparing unplugged to some American Standard Tele's, I've decided is a good guitar with really crappy pickups.

I think I love the basic Tele sound - even mine has it, that twangy high, nice crunchy mid-position, neck pup gives me growls and bite. But mine are really thin, especially the bridge pup, and lack a lot of warmth and sensitivity.

I've heard some modded Teles that have clear, clean sounds - I don't want that. I don't need pure vintage either - I'd be happy if it ended up sounding like a modern American Tele (though *more so* would be nice, and I have nothing against Vintage). But I definitely want it to sound like a Tele. More flexible is good, but it's got to have the twang and bite and crunch and growl.

So far, I've researched up:

Rio Grande Tallboys
    Rio Grande Muy Grande
    DiMarzio Virtual Vintage
    Duncan Alcino Pro II
    Duncan STL-1 and STR-1
    Lindsays Blues Specials (though I read on Harmony Central that that these push you more towards clear, non-Tele sounds. That true?)

Mostly I'm playing old Chicago style blues (Robert Nighthawk, anyone?), some jazz, and some punk.

Thoughts?

Thanks, guys!

-thi

2. gls500

gls500 Supporting Member

Lollar Vintage Specials - look no further.

Near P90 like tone, but roll back the volume, and get some tele twang. I love them.

3. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

+1 on Lollars.
    Besides that my next Tele will have Kinmans (love their Strat PUs)

4. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

Hamels. the best.

5. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

I'm using a Duncan JD bridge and it is quite good. It is a step towards increased bass and mids without losing the twanginess. I would hesitate to move much further up the hot pu scale for fear of losing the tele character.
    However, I have an Evans Strat pu in the neck which is OK, not great, quiet though.

6. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

Fralin Blues Specials will give you a throaty & bluesy tone with very warm mids and a big low end. The bridge pickup will clang if you have a good tone pot but it is a lot smokier than a traditional tele bridge pickup. Fralin Tele BS sound glorious together - a big open and punchy sound.

My favorite - so far. And they're priced right and usually in-stock at acme.com.

7. The_Whale

The_Whale Member

Have you tried adjusting the pickups closer to the strings?

8. rorschah

rorschah Member

sanhozay - what does smokier mean?

(and does your name mean San Jose? My home town.)

-thi

9. guitarmook

guitarmook Member

I have a guitar that has Rio Grandes, and it's been one of my top guitars for longer than any other... the rios are thicker, beefier, and heavier than stock pickups... but I can still get nice string clarity out of 'em, too... I haven't tried lollars, or hamels, but love the rios...

10. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Aren't Rio Grande's Humbuckers?

11. gls500

gls500 Supporting Member

No, they have all kinds of pickups, and most are very good:

http://riograndepickups.com/

Speaking of Hamels, I'm sure they are excellent, but I'd have a hard time waiting that long for just pickups. I have yet to hear a good reason why they should take that long, and I wouldn't want to support such a business practice. There are plenty of others hand-winding pickups at much higher volumes than Hamel, and many are stocked and ship in days (Fralin, Lollar, etc)

12. GuitarG

GuitarG Member

I'm real happy with the Fralin Blues Special set. The bridge is a bit hotter than some vintage style pickups, but not in a bad way. Just a little fatter than a traditional 'glassy' Tele bridge. The neck pickup is the best Tele neck unit I've used. Both pickups sound great in the center switch position and they are hum cancelling when used together.
    I've not tried the Lollars but I've heard great things about his Tele and Strat pickups.

13. Bonedance

Bonedance Member

+ 2 on the Lollars. From all accounts, Hamels are wonderful pickups, ( have not tried them, but hear nothing but raves ) but if you need new pickups now and not in 2007, go with the Lollars.

14. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

acme.com sure is an interesting site , but I didn't see any Fralins :p :D

15. tone4days

tone4days Member

well, i am not a purist when it comes to teles ... except that for cosmetic reasons, i like a covered neck pup ...

i went with a set of duncan vintage stacks for tele ... did the 4 way mod while i was at it ... i love the noiseless (all quack-n-spank / no hum) and the series combo is a nice option with just enough difference in the tone (a little gutsier than parallel - more low mids, less highs)

good luck
    t4d

16. Telecaster

Telecaster Member

....and another vote for Lollars.

17. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

Har! Har! {snort!}

18. SFW

SFW Member

Rio Tallboy in the neck and a MG in the bridge.

19. rorschah

rorschah Member

Money is an issue, and I just got an offer for Duncan STR-1 and STL-1 vintage teles, a set for $80. So is this a dumb thing, or is it a "slight edge" dealymabob?

-thi

20. Gerald Johnson

Gerald Johnson Member

Get a pair of Bare Knuckle "Brown Sugars" truly awesome!

Gerald.